Monday, August 28, 2006

Monday, Monday

Happy Birthday, Carie!





Is that not an adorable puppy, or what? And one of these days I'm going to figure out how to print out the pictures and give them to her mom. (Even though she's told me how, at least twice.)


See those seven stitches on the dpn? What idiot reads the directions and adds two stitches in the middle of those seven? Even if "pick up two stitches at the underside of the thumb" is too hard, you would think that, I don't know, glancing at my thumb would have told me the underside of your thumb is on the topside. Opposable, and all that.

In my defense. Mittens. Who wears them? We've had snow here, twice, in the last forty years and I bet you couldn't scrape a decent snowball from both of those snowstorms. And I'm an idiot. Give me lace.



But a pair! And they're almost the same size and everything! Woot! Woot!


The Summer Reading Challenge is coming to an end this Thursday. (As is Kat's Summer Reading Program.) Amanda, who hosted the Challenge, asks about it on her Sunday Book Talk post.

Read Falls the Shadow by Sharon Kay Penman this weekend (Edit: Argh! (580 pages). Marji sent it to me in the beginning of the summer. What a great book! It's a little before and after my period (it features Eleanor of Aquitaine's granddaughter, Nell, Eleanor of Aquitaine being one of my favorite historical women) and her husband, Simon de Montfort, the Earl of Leicester, pre-dating (by a few hundred years) my favorite Earl of Leicester, Robert Dudley. No relation between the two, just the title, but it was a fascinating look into a period of history I'm not that familiar with.

Weak kings, brutal battles between relatives, treachery, honor, love, family. I can't wait to read The Reckoning, part three in this trilogy. I can't believe I've never read Sharon Kay Penman's books before, she's much more historically accurate than most of the historical novels I've read, and furthermore, she explained at the end where she took poetic license and why.

11 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

Love the finished mittens! (And I wear them - all winter long :0)

8:34 AM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Congratulations on your mitten pair! Woohoo! :o)

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the mittens. I can't wear gloves because my fingers never get warm in gloves. Of course if I lived in the Bay Area, I guess I wouldn't need them very often, but at least you'll be fashionable on the 3 cold days there.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great mittens! and thanks for the book review too... need to go to the library today and find that trilogy to get me inspired for all things British historical...

11:37 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Great mittens - they are so beautiful!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

I just noticed ... is that a little bow on her? So cute!

Well, at least you know how to knit them if you ever need a pair! And there'll be one grateful person out there this winter.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think the mittens look good. I hate knitting mittens. With a passion. So, I'm impressed when someone who lives somewhere with no mitten need is knitting mittens.

I didn't realize the SRP ended Thursday - I thought Labor Day. Eeep! Why am I reading blogs?!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Your mittens look great! That's all I wear in the winter, not a big fan of gloves.

Puppeh! So cute!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

straining for a glimpse of the imperious Monarch herself....do I see her off in the distance?

12:22 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

hmmm, I left a comment here yesterday too regarding something about the mittens - which are lovely btw, and weather and Ms Penman...but it pulled a houdini and isn't here ;(

12:24 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

That is one cute puppy! ( Is he yours? I read back but I can't tell. Possibly it is because I haven't had any caffeine today yet! :)
That's the kind of cute dog I would get if I were to ever get a dog. Please, don't mention this to Fig!

LOVING your mitten. And that you are making some even though you have a warm climate.
THANK YOU! For the happy birthday!

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home