Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sheepish, Sheep and sheesh

Hallejah. Blogger is posting pictures again. Let's see if my blogline updates. I mght have to move to Typepad.


Yes, yes, I love my new scratching post. Go away. I'm admiring it from a distance.


The cutest teeny sheep in the world. Next to Ann's.


Side view. Aren't those bobbles for curls cute? BFF found her in Virginia City and had to get her for me because - sheep. And a knitted sheep at that. Possibly well on her way to becoming a Delores.

I got my Fishie Entrelac Mitten pattern from Laurie today! So cute. She's having a song naming contest right now too.



Oh no! I left off a birthday, and one that falls on the Future InterNational Holiday. Happy (Belated) Birthday, Susan!




Your Life Path Number is 1



Your purpose in life is to lead others. (Follow me! Did I mention my real name is Wile E. Coyote?)

You have great drive and determination. Nothing is going to stand in your way. (hahahahahahaha)

You seek out challenges and the spotlight. You'll take all the work - and all the glory. (Take all the work? Are they mad? And oh, the glory.)

Status and success are important to you. You demand the best from everyone and everything. (As long as I don't have to live up to these exacting standards.)

In love, you tend to take a protective role. You enjoy being the provider in relationships. (Wha'? )

You expect others to be like you, and as a result, you are often disappointed. (Now this is too, too sadly true. So, so upsetting that you are all not as fabulous, perfect and wonderful as I am. Did I mention modest and humble? Self effacing?)

A little selfish and vain, you always put yourself first. ouch.

Remember, everyone already knows you're great - you don't need to remind them!






Hooey.

Julia at Knitting History had an interesting link today about knitting in public and how it was perceived as being standoffish, morally righteous and dismissive of the people around the knitter. Really? Morally righteous? Because I'm "producing" or "multitasking"? Criminey.

I knit because I'm so fidgety that if I don't knit, I'm probably jiggling my feet on someone's chair, whispering, or daydreaming. It helps me focus in meetings and classes (but it does have to be mindless, and it does depend on the forum). In coffeehouses, libraries, lines; lapsed knitters, lots of kids, and the curious tend to ask me questions. Have any of you had any trouble with anyone while you're knitting?

10 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

Heh, Hezekiah looks suitably unimpressed that Blogger is loading pics again! And that is one cute little sheep. Great pressie from BFF!

I've never had any "comments" about my knitting in public, just weird stares.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

Well, I admit it! I'm standoffish and I knit in public hoping that everyone sees it as a barrier. You're (not you personally) not going to bug someone who is reading, so why bug someone who is knitting ;-)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That sheep is adorable!! Hi, H!

Dismissive? Hmph. When I knit in meetings, I'm not trying to establish a barrier - it totally helps me to focus. Usually my thoughts are all over the place (darting, darting, darting), but knitting helps keep them on track.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great feline photo, the Mitz was impressed, she is currently sitting on my lap, 'helping me type'. She also loves her scratching post, GOOOOOD GIRL!!!!


KIP....I never see anyone else, or hardly ever, KIP....but I like to pull out the sticks whenever possible. I do get people looking and lots of times, they come up to ask what Im making. Now, if I could only learn how to knit standing up, all the time wasted in lines, wouldn't be. LOL....

Happy Friday, G

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole knitting in public issue -- the reception I get has been so VARIED. I've had many nasty looks, and had someone in a doctor's office ask me if I really needed to do that (this was after I'd been pulled out of the waiting room, and was waiting in the exam room for the doc). I was like "Yeah, unless you want me stark raving mad, I NEED to do this."

I do NOT know how I would have made it through my Daddy's surgery without knitting, and still, I got lots of strange looks about it.


Many times, like you -- I get lots of questions about it, which I am happy to answer. I can generally knit anything I'm working on in public without looking at it more than occaisionally, and so am perfectly comfortable carrying on a conversation. I am one of those who absolutely MUST be doing something with my hands in order to concentrate -- in school, I was an incorrigible doodler -- yet still managed to do very well, so obviously keeping my hands busy isn't a bad thing!

What ticks me off the most, though, is the thought that people think I'm being "morally righteous" by knitting in public. WHY is it that people have such a need to take what I'm doing and make it about them? I really don't give a rat's ass that you're not knitting, or really, what you're doing with your "dead" pockets of time (as long as you're not bugging me). I don't think I'm better than you because I'm knitting and you're not. You, really, don't even enter my consciousness in my decision to knit. How presumptuous of you to think so. Hmmmmph.

I see that, though, when people start to ask me about my knitting -- and then go off on this long spiel about why they can't knit, and how they wish they could. It just makes me shake my head. I mean, if someone truly wants to knit, then I'll sit down with ANYONE and teach them. But most of these people don't want that -- it's like they want me to acknowledge that, yes, they can't knit. I don't get that at all.


Eeeps, I've babbled a lot. Sorry!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

mostly people don't say anything to me about it when I KIP. Except in airports and then it's usually to tell me I can't take the needles on planes - well, duh, don't you think I'd know whether or not I could before bringing it? reminds me to find out now that the latest and greatest has taken place - I guess since they're not liquid or gel they might still be ok, but I'm betting as things get more tense they'll be banned again.

oh, I the only way I can get blogger to load pics anymore is to write in the html mode and insert the code myself, Still having sizing problems with that. I expect something happened between my firewall and blogger code.

7:22 AM  
Blogger slowknitter said...

Cute sheep and cute cat.

When I knit in public, I'm either ignored or other knitters ask what I'm knitting, what pattern, what yarn, etc. I suppose it depends on whether one looks up occasionally, establishing eye contact, or seems to set up a bubble of personal space around one's self that says "Stay Away".

I think knitters knitting in public are a lot more approachable that i-pod listeners, or cellphone users, two classes of people who definitely have the personal space bubble thing going on. Whoa, personal bias showing there.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

I think Stitches Midwest should go on your calendar right now for '07. It's generally that same weekend in August. Even though Stitches West is closer to you, you'd have a better time with Us!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Yes, I've been thinking about giving blogger the ol' heave ho, too. Those tiny sheep are so incredibly cute, I can't believe it.

Wow. I have never imagined that KIP could be seen as stand-offish. Yikes.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

How strange...I wouldn't think that knitting in public would be any more standoffish than any of the other things people do when they're out and about.

I figure it's nobody's business but my own. I don't usually have bad reactions to knitting in public, though - mostly people asking questions about what I'm doing.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home