Sunday, August 06, 2006

Whoo Hoo! An Actual FO & an I-Cord Tutorial (of sorts)

August Birthday, the Sixth, is Katy. Happy Birthday, Katy!



And look! I finished something. The Shell! I did end up ripping the neckline I-cord edging out.. After the armhole edging came out better, softer, looser, it looked pathetic. Now I'm not happy with the join of the I-cord and the cable on the right hand side. That's my 2nd attempt and while I'm lettting it go for now, I'll probably unravel it and tighten up the gauge on the I-cord to match the gauge on the cable down the road. Say, Wednesday.




This is the best picture of it. I had it on in one shot but all you could see was a brown blob and that I really need to clean the bathroom mirror. (Which I did, and I also wove in all the ends. Of The Shell, not the mirror. I wonder why my English papers used to come back covered in red ink?)

Naturally today was freezing. I've got to finish Its Jacket.

Here's a stab at a pictorial tutorial of knitted on I-cord:

1) Normal four stitch I-cord.......











2) I've picked up a stitch from the edging (5 stitches on my needle), slid them across the needle and am about to knit the picked up stitch off the needle.













3) I've knit the first three stitches normally and now I'm going to knit the last two on the needle through the back of the loop. Four stitches!










Until, of course,

4) I pick up a 5th stitch from the edge again,

5) slide the stitches across the needle (normal I-cord procedure) and start the whole thing over again).

It was easy to knit the two together through the back of the loop, keeping the stitches loose helped. I knit the I-cord edging of both armholes, ripped out the neckline and redid it in a little over two hours. You'll probably be a lot faster, evidently I knit like a turtle.

I'd show you a picture of my helper/companion but she hid under the lilac bush the whole time. Probably mad because I managed to not tape SG1 Friday night and miss the middle of the darn thing.

I finished The River of Time, by Igor Novikov (367 pages) TBR. Very interesting look at time travel, the physics of wormholes and black holes. I'm glad I read it after the Physics of Superheroes, probably more would have been over my head. He did dash my hopes about time travel at the end - what he's saying is possible (not yet mind you) isn't what I think of as time travel.

9 Comments:

Blogger Peevish said...

Oh, that's how you do it!!

Thanks for the tutorial!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm going to have to come back to this post next time I see a pattern with a knitted on icord. I'm always thinking it's going to be too hard.

Did you get your package yet?

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hooray for the F.O., congrats! Will have to check out River of Time - I always get one student per year asking me "hey, are we ever going to be able to travel in time?"

7:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think the shell looks lovely!

Hi, H! Have you come out yet?

8:28 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Hey, thanks for the show-and-tell! I've never been able to figure that one out...

Lookin' good!

2:50 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think it looks great! Nice tutorial on how to do it too. I've seen this technique used on a few bag patterns.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What pattern is that?

10:50 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Great tutorial! I really like that look but never knew how to do it. The shell turned out beautifully!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tutorial. I'm going to remember that for future use.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home