Friday, July 14, 2006

Well, Phooey.

And on a Friday to boot.

How can a Friday be bad? It can be, when one thinks that one is attending a seminar all day. A seminar in which one will learn and grow, become more proficient in one's career path and hear all about the idiot sage and wise things rulings of Our Government. And not incidentally, knit through the whole thing.

But alas. I can't read a calendar. It was yesterday. Luckily I'm now all paid up for the Jan 07 seminar, but......but......darn it, I was going to start another tank top. (No, not out of the Hempathy, *why do you ask? And Julia, what is this "swatching" that you speak of? Very mysterious word. I cannot quite understand...?) But I'm heartened by the news that it softens up. Any chance I can block the whole thing before I knit it? And any chance I can stop typing in this stilted fashion? (I blame it on Passage to India. I was listening to it on audiobook on my long useless commute.)

Might as well update the Summer Reading Program/Challenge.

Book #9: The Friendship Test by Elizabeth Noble (BC/L) (437 pages). It was a fairly compulsive read once I got into it, the plots were positively soap operatic, but the characters rang very one dimensional. The conceit of the book, the 'Friendship Test' was a quick judgment of how so-and-so would presumably behave in a concentration camp. Yeah, nice. It followed four very different women from college through, maybe their 30's.

Book #10 The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman (TBR/hb)(211 pages). Ha! An actual book I listed on the Challenge. I love Alice Hoffman, she's quirky and yet realistic in some way. It was an interesting look at lightening, loss and love and wasn't really about what I thought it was, but if I tell you, I'll spoil it. Not one of her best, but still good.

Book #11 The Mason-Dixon Line by John C Davenport (L)(116 pages). Okay, I admit it, I borrowed this book from the library because of my recent obsession with Log Cabin Knit blankets and the Mason Dixon Knitting book. But as Stephanie pointed out in her blog, the history of the US is pretty compelling too. She even mentioned Antietam, which is a creek that's part of the natural border of the Mason-Dixon line. I didn't even realize it was originally used to separate Pennsylvania and Maryland, I always thought it was in the Deep South somewhere.

I did know that Mason & Dixon were mathematicians and astronomers because I'd run across their names in one of my math/astronomy books - (hey! Mason & Dixon are people, and not say, towns). Mathematicians/astronomers from England drew a boundary in the US? Well, yes. They'd finally worked out a way to calculate successfully longitude - through - - - wait for it - - math and astronomy. (Not them, specifically. He did. (Galileo thought of it. Oh, go look it up.)

Anyway, it was a pretty fascinating book. It made a good case for the Mason-Dixon line being the root cause of the Civil War - that is, the differing cultures of Pennsylvania, run by Protestants, Quakers and capitalists and Maryland, run by Catholics and tobacco cartels eventually dividing the nation.

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis start their new season tonight! Eureka premieres next week Tuesday. Now that looks pretty good. Even Max Headroom is in it! Geez, if it wasn't for the Sci Fi channel, I'd have almost nothing to watch lately. Other than The 440o and the Dead Zone on USA Sundays, The Closer on TNT Monday night, CSI NY repeats on Wednesdays (possibly Bones one of these days - a repeat of some reality game show? Please.) Various & sundry History Channel and PBS specials. Oh, and House repeats on Tuesdays. Uh, never mind. I watch a lot of TV. Why does it seem like there's never anything good on?


*if you are actually asking, I was going to make it out of Crystal Palace Salsa in yellow that looks like it's been discontinued (after googling for it) which, considering I bought it aproximately one hundred years ago (or maybe ten) and Straw Into Gold (Crystal Palace's retail shop in Berkeley) closed a couple of years ago [sob], isn't too surprising.

What? I had to start something new. Lace takes too much concentration, seaming The Shell seemed a bit too bold, the sock was at the heel turn (and doing badly) and.......well, dang it, I wanted to start something new. New! New!

Ha! Camera phone! You gotta have a picture if you can.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY...it's season premiere night.

I watch almost all the shows you listed.

There's no such thing as too much TV. ::wink::

1:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Uh, does that mean you missed the seminar? Hoo boy...

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, you could wash the Hempathy before you knit with it, but it would require you to skein it (if it isn't in skeins). And if swatching seems like too much work, I'm guessing skeining is out too :-) We've been dealing with the TV drought of 2006 by taping every silly Turner Classic Movies middle-of-the-night melodrama from 1933 and watching those instead. And Netflix, but it's so slow sometimes.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Carrie - Send me your address. I have a little something for you. :)

2:00 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I was planning to watch Eureka, but I had no idea that Max Headroom would be in it. Wow! That is the only show in all of the 1980s that I actually watched. I loved it! I even have the pilot on VHS. I made all my high school students watch it. :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

I love the comments on the Mason-Dixon, I didn't know they were geeky types either :o)!!

So much knitting going on! Too bad you missed the seminar knitting though :o(

7:29 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That ball of yarn looks like a chick (as in baby chicken).

What is this TV of which you speak?

8:13 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Heh heh...another swatching rebel!

Hey, I hear you on the sucky summer TV... I keep hoping that at least Battlestar Galactica will start up in reruns again, but not yet. All this crap reality stuff. Please. I really don't care if you can dance or not.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

So what did you do instead of the seminar? We're TV addicts too. Kevin really liked that last episode of The Closer. He keeps saying, "This is a GREAT show." Now he's afraid it's going to get canceled or something.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I've added yet another book to my TBR list. The Mason-Dixon book sounds fabulous. When I was in school I was soooo fascinated with Civil War history.

I always love reading about your reading!

High on my list of things to do once we get settled is get my rear end back to the library.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My email - amythyst69@aol.com

I'm pretty sure there's an email me link somewhere on my sidebar too but who knows? I haven't don;t much blog maintenece in awhile. :)

That Mason Dixon book sounds pretty interesting.

10:47 AM  
Blogger amandazen said...

I like Hoffman as well. I think the last book I read from her was Turtle Moon, which I remember liking. I may have to look at The Ice Queen.

By the way thanks for the Proust tip!

Amanda

11:26 AM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

That missed seminar sounds like my missed concert. So frustrating but then I think: there is a reason and it is not forgetfulness :)***CV

10:47 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

What about Project Runway? Did you watch the new season that started this past Wednesday.

Sounds like you've been doing well on the reading this summer. The mason-dixon book sounds very interesting. I'm going to have to go look it up. I'd strongly recommend Leeway Cottage (I'm loving this book) as it combines a great story and knitting - what more could I ask for?

6:35 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

oh Carrie, you are getting far too much reading done! I think you ought to take a look at Mason and Dixon by Thomas Pynchon, 773 pgs. That'll slow you down [vbg]
around here I know people knitting with Euroflax Originals linen, which isreally stiff. One uses it as is, one washes it in the skein and dries it, then starts knitting with it. but the finished product after washing is heavenly. and just keeps getting softer.
to add to your TV repetoire, Project Runway started last week on Bravo - Wed nights.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Zee said...

Oh, I enjoyed the Stargate's premieres. I hope you did, too. :)

I'd love to read The Ice Queen.

Camera phone... hmm. There's an option for me. *snicker*

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home