Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Tragedy & Depair at the Symphony

Look, look I tell you! [points tragically]. Twenty five minutes into the program, an hour before daylight ended and after I picked up the last edge stitch and started knitting the border.

I could have cried. (Well, I did a bit, but that had more to do with the rendition of Johnny Come Marching Home than my first ever circular needle breaking.)




And naturally I didn't bring my purse to "travel light" so I didn't have a spare (or stitchmarkers, not that I needed them after my circular needle broke, I believe viciously and with malice aforethought.) I did have a crochet hook and believe you me, I debated whether it would be a good time to "teach" myself crochet, but finally gave up and just enjoyed the concert. (As much as possible with a broken circular needle taunting me at my feet).


Here's a shot of the Martinez Bay where the concert was held. It was the 30th Anniversary celebration of the Willow's Theater. The Diablo Symphony played, beautifully, I might add, and the casts of 1776, John Muir's Mountain Home and Nunsense sang a few songs from their plays. Martinez is where John Muir lived for a time. And the nuns from Nunsense were also our waitresses! It was a hoot. The author even said a few words.



Here's pic of the Symphony and the Bluegrass opening act, the "Spinning Wheels". They were lying. There were no spinning wheels. They didn't even have so much as a drop spindle. The music was pretty good. A lot of really, really, really old folk tunes.





The Diablo Symphony Associaton.




Is that a beautiful sunset, or what?



HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

16 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Oh man that really does suck - I feel your pain!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I can't believe your needle broke! What a bummer.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are certainly entitled to a whine! But at least the music was good - happy 4th!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Maybe it's trying to tell you something? Perhaps you should be thinking happy thoughts?

1:36 PM  
Blogger susoolu said...

So the knit was feeling the Independence vibe, and wanted to break free!

Looks like a wonderful concert, despite the lack of spinning, or knitting. Happy 4th.

2:47 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Yeowch!!! (with a double dose of Ouch!) -- were you able to pick it back up at home later? It is terrible to bring 'something to do' and then have it become impossible to work on for one reason or another!(( **sends sympathy**

OTOH: The symphony looks like it was great fun - and the bluegrass too! You caught some great pics there.

4:47 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

Great pictures! It looks like you had a nice time in spite of the needle debacle! :)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Eeeeek!! Well, good for you for sticking it out through the concert after that. :) Looks really cool!

6:26 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Don't you find that you don't know what to do with your hands when there's no knitting to be had. I've lost the ability to sit still and not knit. Glad you enjoyed the concert anyway.

Happy 4th!

7:52 PM  
Blogger BeanMama said...

How funny - we went to see the Willows' production of 1776 on Saturday! (And I've broke my size 3 addi natura circs TWICE and am giving up and exchanging them for turbos. BTW, if your circs are addi natura and you have the original sleeve, Dharma Trading Company in San Rafael will exchange them for you. Regardless of where you bought them originally.)

11:36 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Yikes, that stinks! I've been there - yanked too hard on my Interchangeable needles, and snapped the join. And while working on one of my only lace projects...That got dumped pretty quick.

I would have gone batty without anything to knit though!

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's terrible. It looks like you had a good time despite it!

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cyber hugs. Needles always go to needles heaven at the worst possible time:(

The pics of the sunset are great. Thanks for sharing

4:54 AM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

The concert looks fabulous.

A thousand curses to the perfidious circ.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Oh no!!!

Is that a addi turbo? I didn't know they could break.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

I'm so sorry about the needle...but I have to laugh since just a post or two ago you were loathing knitting! I do love the log cabin blanket that is outlined in black, what a wonderful touch.
love your pics of concert scenes. love the fact that you get out so much.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home