Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Monday B

Geez, I hope that blocks out. I'm sure it will. Just remind me, I'm a yarn snob for a reason. I'm just better at knitting with natural fibers. I don't know why, but there it is. Why couldn't I be one of those people who knit up something glorious out of anything? Besides, it's basically a learning swatch for the Log Cabins and it's perfectly acceptable for a shelter - washable, long wearing, and evidently a fabulous scratching post. [oh darn! the pic didn't come out. Hez loooooves to claw rugs. I'm trying to get her to claw up the couch I hate but no go.)

So. I sewed up exactly one shoulder seam of The Shell. Worked a bit on the Norwegian Second sock (to the foot gusset!) (I still don't like it much, but I'm blaming that on the Wool-ease). (It's the exact same yarn as the Big Critter Blanket, so I thought I'd get in some knitting in where there was some discernible movement.) Did a few more logs on the Critter Blanket Log Cabin and am inches away from finishing the Big Critter Blanket thanks mostly to spending yesterday in a Quantum Leap marathon viewing. Yay for the Sci Fi channel. Man, I'd forgotten how much I loved that show.

You know what the problem with taking Monday off of work is? Tuesday becomes Monday, only you have less time to do the work in. Bah. I suppose eating two cinnamon rolls for breakfast, after a dinner of popcorn and brownies wasn't the best idea either.

For the Summer Reading Program & Summer Reading Challenge I curled up and finished The Uncrowned Kings of England: The Black History of the Dudley's and the Tudor Throne by Derek Wilson. (HB/TBR, 405 pages).

Very interesting. I hadn't realized that the family name was originally Sutton, or that Robert Dudley's grandfather served her grandfather, Henry the Seventh. After a lifetime of implementing Henry the Seventh's will (basically taking from everyone and giving to Henry as a lower level clerk & tax collector) he was beheaded for his pains after the King's death, more as a show of "out with the old and in with the new" when Henry the Eighth ascended the throne.

John Dudley, his son, also served in the court, but with much more royal favor coming his way. He even managed to keep that favor when Edward ascended since he was named one of Edward's three regents. He was also the father of Guilford Dudley, the spouse of poor Lady Jane Grey, and if Derek Wilson's historical reseach and interpretion is correct, he put his son & Lady Jane on the throne to carry out Edward's wishes (to maintain the new Protestant faith). There was no mention in the book of Jane Grey being beaten into submitting to her parents choice of spouse, as I'd always heard.

In any event, John Dudley's reign as regent or courtier came to an end when Mary became Queen and it was up to his son "Sweet Robin" to carry on the Dudley family tradition which he did as Elizabeth's unofficial co-regent and the closest thing she had to a husband. Elizabeth played havoc with his life.

The book was a fascinating look at the Dudley family and painted them in a very positive light for the most part. Derek Wilson makes the point that the Tudor and the Dudley family had a symbiotic relationship, as ivy to an oak tree, except that the Tudor's were the ivy and the Dudley's the oak and the case he makes for that rings true.

Goats in the last remaing horse stable on what used to be a quiet country road.

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh - so he was the Dudley half of the doomed Empson and Dudley tax collectors. I probably should have made that connection before now! Geez. My book on Mary Queen of Scots talks about how Elizabeth tried to get Robert Dudley married off to Mary but then had second thoughts and decided to keep him for herself. That was what led Mary into marriage with her cousin Darnley. She got sick and tired of being jerked around by Elizabeth.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I never thought I'd become a yarn snob because I'm so cheap. My yarn spending expanded dramatically when I discovered the joys of wool.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Mmmmm... popcorn... I think I'd better go have some for dinner!

You got a lot of knitting done!

6:02 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

I used to watch QL after school when I was younger -- great nostalgia :o)

I was thinking the same thing about the natural fibers when I started knitting up some scraps of acrylic to begin my critter blanket. They'll go together somehow, you've given me great hope! :o)

6:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I never planned on being a yarn snob either, but then I found Cascade 220 (the entry drug of the wool world) and that's all she wrote.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

Did he happen to mention anything about the Dudleys losing their heads, literally, when they lost Royal favor? John Dudley who served Henry VII so well lost his head immediately when Henry VIII took power, in order to appease the populace who hated Dudley the tax collector, and The second Dudley lost his head along with Guilford and the rest of the clan Except dear Robin and one other bother, When Mary came to power. Dudley the father positioned himself to be in power, and married off Guilford to Jane Grey in a bid to put himself and his kin nearer the throne.
It's amazing isn't it how history is spun depending on who the author is sympathetic to.
If the Dudleys were the oak the Tudor's grew their ivy around, then the Tudors had a funny propensity for cutting the oak down.
I'd like to read that book.

1:35 AM  
Blogger susoolu said...

Well, if you decided the hated couch was your favourite, Hezekiah would have her claws on it in no time at all.

And to my shame, I'm learning more about British history from you than I did at school (our history teacher just used to scream at us all lesson - we were the worst class in the school, she hated teaching us, we were driving her to a breakdown, a good learning environment, that). Though if you even get the chance, listening to 'This Sceptred Isle', from BBC's Radio 4 will also fill in many gaps!

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I loved Quantum Leap too. Man, working sucks, I miss out on all this fun TV!

I'm sure the blankets will be more then fine, afterall the animals won't mind a bit if they are wonky.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

That sounds like a great book, I think I'm going to look it up. I love reading history.

And hey, nothing wrong with being a yarn "snob"! Just because we like our wool...
:)

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home