Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Random Wednesday (because I'm a copycat)

Okay, first things first. A pic of the baby penguin Photo Quilt soon to be on its way to Leti for her June 8th birthday. Think it will get there in time? That post office.


The yarn is Rowan's Wool Cotton in Rich. So pretty. I haven't cast on for Eliz yet, although I am lugging it and its entourage around in my purse and I did find the German Twisted Cast On Stephanie suggested. I think that's what I used on the swatch, oddly enough.

The shell continues to be unblocked and unfinished. The critter blanket is growing slowly. Dad's vest continues to be unfinished even though I should be madly working on it for Father's Day. It was only what? Supposed to be a Christmas present? At least it was only last Christmas. So far.

And I'm so ashamed. After all that nagging about KIP'ing on the KIP Day, I didn't knit so much as a stitch in public. I had a project with me though. (The Moll Shawl. I love that Misti Alpaca yarn and by gum, I'm going to finish that shawl.)

I did finish reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells (304 pp). I really liked it. It was an unflinching yet loving look at what was at best neglectful parenting and at worst, downright dangerous, but Jeannette describes her childhood with her brother and sisters and her parents with such cheerful humor that I walked away from the book feeling that she knew her family foibles quite well and loved them anyway while still not excusing them. Argh. Maybe I'll get better at describing books over the summer? With any luck? Or practice? It was a good book.

There's nothing on this week. Nothing! Not even reruns of CSI:NY tonight. The Dead Zone does premiere on Sunday at 10pm after The 4400 at 9pm. The 4400 wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, Isabelle was okay. What'shisname from Deadwood was a complete jerk - slapping her? I guess he wanted to establish authority early and decisively since she can kick his butt with her mind, but still. Not cool. And I was a little bit bummed about Lily.


The oleanders in the back are clearly dwarf ones. Bah. I like the geraniums though. Hardy cheerful little plants.













And because no post is complete without a quiz (I love quizzes)....

You scored as Cultural Creative. Cultural Creatives are probably the newest group to enter this realm. You are a modern thinker who tends to shy away from organized religion but still feels as if there is something greater than ourselves. You are very spiritual, even if you are not religious. Life has a meaning outside of the rational.

Cultural Creative

100%

Postmodernist

94%

Idealist

56%

Existentialist

38%

Romanticist

25%

Materialist

19%

Modernist

6%

Fundamentalist

6%


What is Your World View? (updated)

Huh. The things you learn about yourself. Not religious? What am I doing in church on Sundays? Other than singing off key and surreptiously knitting in the pew.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Re. The Man Who Laughs: The movie had happy ending; the book did not. Also, apparently the movie was more logical and had less plot holes than the book. I didn't read far enough to find that one out first hand.

Yep, I heard about his pay. Casablanca is coming up soon on my movie list.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, and I came out as a Moderist.

1:39 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

The Photo Quilt is so cute!

Thanks for the review of Glass Castles - it's on my book club's list for later this summer!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH I love the penguin quilt, but then again I'm a bit of a penguin freak.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool quiz - I came out as an existentialist which, amazingly enough, is pretty accurate. ;)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Knitting in church! Why didn't I ever think of that?

4:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm a cultural creative too, and you know I taught theology. Go figure?

7:11 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Anotehr cultural creative joins the mix :)**CV

9:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That penguin quilt is cool! And your description of the book actually got me to think about reading it. :)

Hmm, 81% postmodernist and 75% cultural creative.

You find the more thought provoking quizzes out there!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the penguin quilt - I'm not sure I'll show it to pao cos he'll get all excited because he loves penguins.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

weirdest quiz I've ever taken. Written so that if you believe in God at all I think you are going to come out a cultural creative. I took it again trying to come out like a preacher and still came out CC.
love the quilt. My friend Jacquie had just finished reading glass house while we were at teh Beach House last month, and we talked about it. So much dysfunction. Her survival was amazing

7:14 AM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Love the quilt. Apparantly I'm an existentialist!

8:03 AM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Such a cute penguin! The little grey emperor penguin chicks hit all my 'baby buttons' ;o)

very interesting quiz - I posted my results over at geekygirl, although I don't agree with them! (Existentialist? Not quite.)

We LOVED the Dead Zone - it is back on TV? **waits impatiently for DVD releases again!**

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the Walls book. Strange, disquieting, and very interesting.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the penguin quilt! There's a lot of talk of penguins around my house, as we have a cat name Penguin :)

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home