Friday, May 19, 2006

Why Can't I Just Be Independently Wealthy?




You Should Be a Science Fiction Writer



Your ideas are very strange, and people often wonder what planet you're from.

And while you may have some problems being "normal," you'll have no problems writing sci-fi.

Whether it's epic films, important novels, or vivid comics...

Your own little universe could leave an important mark on the world!

My ideas are strange? Ha.

Went to a meeting Wednesday night and when I discovered that I'd cleaned out the 900 dpn's I used to routinely carry in my old purse (not necessarily by design) in an uncharacteristic bout of optimism, I ran by the LYS and bought a set - you know, for when I finished the back of the shell so I could cast on and knit the I-cord for the front piece.

[sigh].

Yeah. Still knitting the back. But I am almost done. With the back. Of the shell. I was working on it last night at the Farmers Market/Concerts that Concord puts on in the Todos Santos Square a couple of times a week. The oranges and strawberries are so good right now! Yum. The weather is just weird. It was 90 on Monday, warm last night at 6pm when we got there and freezing (okay, 50-60ish) by the time the sun set. And it's supposed to rain tonight.

I'd love to knit a Hanne Falkenberg design, better that than a Fellowship of the (Wedding) Ring Shawl. But Elizabeth I first! As soon as the back-ordered yarn shows up. So Hempathy White or Rowan Cotton Wool Red. The post office is going to determine the color. (I can always make the Duchess sweater from Rowan #38 out of the other....)

It wasn't bravery that made me frog that cabled sweater, just to clear that up. It was that I'd never ever wear it and I couldn't figure out a way to carry it around and force people to admire it. So I think it's going to become Eris. Definitely a cardigan. It's a little bulky for some of the cabled sweaters I still want to knit from an old Knitter's Mag issue.

In TV news (because the world revolves around TV) - So many finales. So annoying. Stupid NCIS had Gibbs retiring. I'm not watching the show without Mark Harmon.

I love House (read: Hugh Laurie), so House was great.

CSI NY was good- shirtless Mac and Marine Command mode. Hubba hubba. Poor Flack got shot, but I tend to think of him as a mobile mannequin anyway - he's so darn pretty, he doesn't seem real to me, so his life threatening wounds? Not so life threatening. (C'mon. We have the technology to fix him! Since the 70's and the 6 Million Dollar Man. Why don't they show that on TV Land, anyway? And It Takes A Thief. I miss Robert Wagner.)

Dr Who tonight! Possibly the season finale. I hear "They're" going to move Law & Order Criminal Intent to 10pm Friday's next Season, and Bones to 8pm (Fridays) which is seriously going to mess with my Stargate SG1/Atlantis & Battlestar Galactica schedule. Although I'll probably watch the Sci-Fi channel and catch the others in the approximately 912 repeats that they now show per freaking season, much less syndication.

Calling All August Birthday Babies to sign up for the August Birthday Swap that Abigail is hosting. And if anyone can explain to me how to embed the link in the picture, I could finally add buttons to my site, not to mention having my eternal gratitude.


The Tudor Roses KAL officially starts on Monday, but not for me unless the aforementioned backordered yarn shows up. I can't wait to do something other than I cord and garter stitch (and lace. Still working on the Moll Shawl, but at the rate of knit 4 rows, frog 3, much to my mother's dismay because she wants to "borrow" it when I'm done. Temporarily Forever, as we say in our family).

And last but not least, Amanda's Summer Reading Challenge to start June 1st and end August 31st.
If I list the books I want to read during the challenge, think it'll jinx the process? There's a reason why my TBR books are starting to take over my library. [Which excuse sounds most plausible? 1.ADD. 2. No time. 3. I read library books first. 4. Book Clubs. 5. Can't knit and read unlike some people. Including knitting garter stitch, sadly. I have noticed that my garter stitch is hella more consistent nowadays. (Tell me you didn't think that black lace weight was Chaos at first. A picture without Chaos is.......just unsettling.]




Look what that talented RheLynn made me to give to my brother! Mr. Sloth! Isn't he fabulous?
















My heart goes out to all of you that recently lost pets. I miss Sheba, even with this one around to cheer me up. And you know how I was saying that she liked to sleep in? During the winter. Now that it's summertime, baby, you've got to get out before the sun rises. Apparently so you can get first dibs on the foxtail/weed patch.

13 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I know, there seems to be some very bad pet mojo going around right now. :(

Hmm, I should be a joke writer? I don't know about that...

Oh, I want to make Eris, too. Someday. When I finish the eleventy hundred other projects I have in mind...

Mr Sloth is very cute!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Eris is such a cool pattern. It's on my list too. And nobody is going to watch NCIS without Mark Harmon. I'd watch that guy read the phonebook. My husband keeps teasing me about Jethro and Abby getting... horizontal.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Elizabeth I progress.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

You have a lot going on. It all sounds good. If you can make changes to your template, I can show you the code to put buttons on your page. Or even if you use the controls that blogger has I can tell you how. Drop me an email if you need help.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Re. your comment: I'm from the other end of The Willits Road (hence, why I call it that.) And I'm trying to work on a chapter as we speak. Of course, it may look like I'm checking my email, but in reality...
Yeah, well. The quiz said I should write science fiction. That is, after I went back and changed an answer because I don't want to be a film writer.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Checking your email is probably conducive to writing.

Yes, it's kind of like checking the answering machine: Relieves doubt, and therefore, the mind.

I don't think that quiz is very accurate. Ignoring for the moment thta almost everything I have ever tried to write was either science/fiction or fantasy, the thing didn't give me very many options with some questions.

6:56 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Ha, it said I should be a film writer - very odd.. maybe a 3D animated film ;o), that would be like me! So, which futuristic scenario are you going to write about first?

That is a beautiful shawl you pointed us to (and thanks for the link - did he arrive yet? I forgot my binder of d.c.#'s at home!)

Your kitty is so fluffy! Sorry about your other kitty :o( **tells Hezekiah she had better purr lots at you and make you feel better!**

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Love the sloth!

We are watching the first season of Galactica on DVD and it's so good! I want to watch Dr. Who, but I'd be coming in the middle of it, so maybe I'll wait. House is awesome as always.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

There's no such thing as too many needles!

While I'm willing my yarn to arrive, I'll do the same for yours ;-)

3:45 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I usually don't do quizzes, but I did that one. I'm a poet. I might even post it one my blog. Thanks for the link.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Seahorse said...

Hope your Eliz I yarn arrives soon! After trying about 38 other options I am going back to the Matchmaker Mineral/green for mine!

Love Mr Sloth!

6:41 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

why can't we all?
oh, and ask and it shall be yours: I emailed you instructions on linking images
Easy as Pi

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think you'd be a very good science fiction writer. I've always wanted to write, but I always seem to lack the time it truly takes.

1:38 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

I'm in love with Mr. Sloth!

And of course you could be a sf writer - you have a wonderful imagination.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home