Thursday, April 27, 2006

Is that not the cutest picture? There's even kitty tongue.

Hezekiah may be the first cat ever, in the land of Catdom, that likes to sleep in. Sheba felt it was her one duty, to roust me out of bed at the ungodly hour of 5am. (Huh. Maybe that's why I get up early. Twenty years of that would pretty much cement a habit in stone). Of course, once that job was taken care of, she'd go back to sleep.

Hezekiah gives me the fisheye when I try to bound out of bed (and by bound, I mean scooch up to the top of the bed, carefully pulling my legs up and out and over her so that I don't disturb Her Majesty (because she's laying on the covers effectively pinning me in bed.) I'd just stay there, but I have needs. Coffee.



That's my parents wedding cake topper Mom unearthed cleaning their garage out this weekend. So it's........47 years old, last March. Wow. Her dryer died, so I went with her to the laundromat on Friday (because, as is written in The Immutable Laws of Appliance Breakdowns, the dryer didn't die until there were two loads of wash that were dripping wet.) She dragged my dad out over the weekend and picked up matching(!) washer and dryer set.

This is my progress on the Moll Flanders Shawl so far: I'd put up the previous picture, but then you'd have proof positive that I'm going backwards. Sadly, it's pretty obvious (after 4 or 5 rows, anyway) if it goes off pattern.

But yes! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you, Imbrium and everyone who agreed with her. Clearly the shawl pattern is too simple. That explains it! No wonder!

That, or I'm an idiot.

Anyone know anything about Hempathy by Elsabeth Lavold? As in, is it scratchy, comfy, good for warm weather, bad for warm weather, etc. I'm thinking of using it for my Elizabeth I project but I've only seen it online.


Meme I won't inflict on anyone but feel like doing myself (and feel free):

Accent: None. I'm from California! It's YOU PEOPLE that talk funny!
Booze: Nah.
Chore I Hate: Cleaning toilets. Yuck.
Dog or Cat: Cat! But I like dogs too. One of these days I'm getting one of those huge black poodles.
Essential Electronics: Surprising everyone, I say a TV
Favorite Cologne(s): None. Migraineur. I'm pretty much anti-scent.
Gold or Silver: Gold. Silver. Gold. Oh, I can't choose. It used to be gold but I've seen the merits of silver.
Hometown: Oakland, CA
Insomnia: Occasionally. Mostly from caffeine overload.
Job Title: "Staff" Seriously. That's what my Dad put on my business card originally.
Kids: I'm in favor of them. Oh, me? None.
Living arrangements: Suburbs. House. Backyard. Older house, so you can't jump roof to roof in our neighborhood.
Most admirable trait: Oh yeah, like I'm going to fall for that one. My humility in the face of all my fabulous qualities.
Number of sexual partners: At a time? One. Lately? Don't ask. It'll depress me.
Overnight hospital stays: Several. Mostly eye surgeries.
Phobias: Getting lost without a map I can read. Asking for directions. (why bother? They'll either tell me to "go left at the Murphy's old ranch..." (which is currently a gas station or a Wal Mart) or start off with "you go west 4.2 miles and then south for ........" uhhhh, I barely know left and right.
Quote: "Live in Your World. Play in Ours."
Religion: Lutheran
Siblings: one younger brother
Time I wake up: 5-6ish
Unusual talent or skill: I can untangle jewelry and now yarn. Yay.
Vegetable I refuse to eat: Beets. But beet greens are edible.
Worst habit: My love for animals. My work ethic. Actually my worst habit is probably is my work ethic. I didn't even put that in bunny fingers.
X-rays:
Teeth and my neck. (Pinched nerve that showed up on the X-Ray. What are the odds?) If you're a big wuss it doesn't come up much. In fact, I've never broken a bone.
Yummy foods I make: peanut butter & honey sandwiches.
Zodiac sign: Leo

Kind of an interesting article on why alphabet letters look the way they do.

House next week is a two parter - Part 1 Tuesday at 9pm as usual, Part 2 at 8pm on Wednesday. No Bones next week. Bones is getting much better. Admiral Chegwidden (JAG) was on it last night. Kid Rock was on CSI-NY. Tonight, Without A Trace. Tomorrow, Dr. Who. I tried to pre-order Dr Who on Amazon, but the price dissuaded me. Of course, I then proceeded to spend that amount on books (which is so different).

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still going with the idea of you being too smart for the pattern.

That cake topper is great. I have no idea where my parents' might be. I do know that my mother's wedding dress was destroyed by moths - so sad.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I love pictures of kitties with tongues sticking out - and while sleeping is just too cute indeed!

Hey, what's your favorite Quote???

12:17 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

OOhh - House two parter - thanks for the heads up. :) My hubby says it's the only regular tv show he cares about watching.

Umm - I don't think I knew there was an actual Tudor Roses KAL. But now that I do - I'm so there! I don't know which one I'd do yet though - off to scan the book now. :)

Don't know about Hempathy but I think one of the LYS's has it so if I get up there to see it I'll give you a report.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, kitty tongue! I'm directionally challenged too. The only reason I know left from right is that there is a bump on a finger on my right hand, so I can always check if I'm not sure :-)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I loves me a fluffy kitty. I totally agree with you on the essentiality of a tv. I fear any children we may have will be tv zombies because of my inability to turn it off.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a sweet kitty. my mom's cat will lay like that, then paw at you.

A cat that sleeps in? Must be part dog.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

Nice progress on the shawl! :)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Thanks,Zee. Oh, I forgot a quote! I'm bad with quotes. I once heard a Shakespeare sonnet read out loud and thought it said "Sweet Beef!" Which struck me as funny. But it was "sweet thief". Boring.

I do the "L" trick, Julia, for left and right. You'd think I'd know right when I'm righthanded....

I didn't tell you about the Tudor Rose KAL, Stephanie? Whoopes.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Two Houses next week! I'm going to have to sit down...

3:24 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Excellent quote. :)

3:36 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

Kitty tongue pics are always too cute!

I definitely understand the "so simple I mess up" concept - has been happening with the current shawl on the needles.

Heard this story on NPR this AM & thought of you:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5364970

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Hey! I 've always wanted a giant poodle too, but my husband says no.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Cute cats and gorgeous shawl... what a great combo for a nice day indoors. If only I didn't have to be at work today (sigh)...

4:53 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I've heard that the hemp yarn is scratchy to knit, but turns soft and very nice after washing. So swatch!

9:06 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Good lord, I wish ours would sleep in! We catch hell if we dare to disturb them during the night, but they don't mind dancing on our heads when they decree it's time to get up!!

11:03 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

cute Hezekiah ;o)
Ah, you make me remember -- our cake topper is in J's mom's attic, in boxes we left behind when we moved!

interesting meme -- I wouldn't want to answer a few of those ;o)

X-Rays, ouch, skull(several)/spine/neck(twice), lungs, both wrists, both ankles. I'm accident prone, and I've had pneumonia more than twice.

good luck with the shawl **crosses one set of fingers for you!**

12:06 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

why can't you knit the same repeat over and over on the #$%^ shawl, where the only variation is the number of stitch that the repeat starts on?? Same reason I'm not making progress on Orangina (same concept, simple repeat starts on 2nd or 3rd stitch) -mind keeps wandering. I think it's supposed to be an exercise in 'being present in the moment' and paying attention...meanwhile its knit a row rip a half, reknit the half, purl a row (thank God for the purl rows) knit a row rip a row, knit a row...
Meanwhile, I keep looking for evidence of this Twinset...where?

3:23 PM  
Blogger susoolu said...

Hezekiah is my kind of cat (unlike my existing ones, who do insist on being fed far too early). Beautiful fluffball. Yes, and pretty shawls too, and fun memes, and memories!

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home