Thursday, April 13, 2006

When one is frustrated, overworked, stressed, tired, clearly taking things too personally, in what freaking world would the phrase "You need to chill out" help?

Actually, it did kind of help because I had a completely inappropriate tantrum (well, not so anyone else could notice, thankyouverymuch). That and I went home at a decent hour, didn't so much as flip the TV on (blessed silence) and read Moll Flanders until late in the evening. (That would be 9:30ish. Yeah, I know. I'm a wimp. But I'm up at 5am. Possbily because I fall asleep around 9pm)

Tonight! PBS at 8pm "Pets, A Very Natural History" followed by "Royals and Their Pets" at 8:50.

This morning I got up and popped The Detective(1968) w/Frank Sinatra into the DVD player. Ralph Meeker (Mike Hammer from Kiss Me Deadly) played a cop in it, along with a very young Jack Klugman (even if he does pretty much look exactly the same) and a blond Robert Duvall.

The prerequiste blond, Lee Remick, a college professor who falls for "the only real man she's ever met" (Frank Sinatra, Honest Cop, of course) turns out to be a nymphomaniac that her shrink has evidently diagnosed as "wanting to blow up the only family she's ever known - or - lack of maturity" (This was the on screen diagnosis. Can you believe it? Considering her childhood spent bouncing around in foster care, I don't think they were even close.)

But all this is just a side dish to the unbelievable homophobia in the film. I mean, seriously. Even FS, who was a compassionate tough guy, still has some really bizarre stereotyping going on there. Clearly we've come a long way from 1968. The plot and the plotting wasn't half bad, but the casual bigotry was just freaky.

Maybe they cast for the blue eyes. Frank Sinatra. Lee Remick. Jacqueline Bisset. There were a few scenes of FS driving around in his police car but sadly he looked a bit like a bobblehead doll during them.

Oh, and to clear something up - I'm not nowhere near faithful to my notebooks, but I do love 'em.

One and a half repeats left on Adamas. It's making me a bit teary. I'm almost done! No more counting it off......I'm going to miss it. It's coming out pretty well too, since other than botching the count, I've managed to pretty much slavishly follow the pattern.

Now I need a project for my train trip to Yosemite next week. Two days, one night. What? Of course I have WIPS. Trips require new. And a book (or two) .

What's that you say? Scenery?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, a temper tantrum is the best thing in the world.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

A train trip to Yosemite? Ultra cool!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yosimite sounds divine, have a great trip!

Kick asses at work and feel no regrets. They clearly deserved what they got for telling you to chill.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I say you bring a sock to work on...

5:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, sounds like a fabulous getaway!

Is H the Buddha come back?

8:08 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Here are two free patterns that could work for your Moll project. That would be a good thing to start. That's what I'm thinking about doing.

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/knitting/neckerchief.shtml

http://www.spunmag.com/article/050410vintagecapelet

9:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Found the book: William Browning Spencer's Resume with Monsters.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Janelle Martin said...

imbrium says it best - sometimes a temper tantrum is the best thing in the world.

For a train trip, I think you need an armchair travel type book. An oldie but good one is A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle and the sequel Toujours Provence. Laugh out loud funny but easily read in bite-size pieces for when you get distracted by scenery.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home