Saturday, April 08, 2006

Boy, My Answering Machine Doesn't Look like that.

"Mr. Hammer, whom you are calling" what, they were random dialing? Is that an awesome answering machine contraption, or what? Built right into the wall, the size of a small air conditioning unit and looks like an old (huge) tape recorder. Wow.

And the crazy phone numbers! I love the name numbers.

Wow, what a bad movie, Kiss Me Deadly. It actually had kind of a killer plot - all about some missing plutonium and nuclear explosions , but since Mike Hammer (Ralph Meeker, not half bad to look at) was busy chasing dames, slapping bad guys, (a very, very young Jack Elam), harrassing opera singers and art dealers, I had no idea what the heck the story was about until........well, actually until I googled The Manhattan Project, Los Alamos and Trinity. Not a clue during the movie. Mostly he was chasing after Cloris Leachman, who turned up dead, everyone around her was turning up dead, everyone around Mike was turning up dead or threatening to turn him/them up dead, or kissing some dame.

Oh! And Mike's secretary had a ballet barre and a stripper pole in her house! 1955. More like today than I realized.

Cloris Leachman made her debut in it - shrieking like a banshee during the opening credits - I'm sure the director made her, but ye gads. The Greek sidekick was annoying too, with all his "Pow!"'s and "Va va voom!" and "3-D Pow!" 3-D pow? Surprised that didn't catch on as a catchphrase.

A quote from the John Donne poem that inspired Robert Oppenheimer to name his project Trinity, (direct from Wikpedia) 'As West and East / In all flatt Maps—and I am one—are on, / So death doth touch the Resurrection.'" ("Hymn to God My God, in My Sicknesses"). Oppenheimer continued, "That still does not make a Trinity, but in another, better known devotional poem Donne opens, 'Batter my heart, three person'd God;—.' Beyond this, I have no clues whatever."


Lyssa, there's an invisibly printed H and C and M on the car clock buttons at the bottom of them, you hold down the "c" button and then press the "h" button to change the hour. At least that's how it works on my car. Not that I did it for years and years. In my car, the time was always standard, until it drove Sheri crazy one day and she fixed it. The one, the ONLY ONE advantage to "springing forward" is that it's easier to change the clocks. But that's it.








Which Famous Modern American Poet Are You?




You are Wallace Stevens. You love everything, especially the sound of things. Too bad you are so obscure that at times even you don't understand what the hell you have written.
Take this quiz!









Today the air is clear of everything.
It has no knowledge except of nothingness
And it flows over us without meanings,
As if none of us had ever been here before
And are not now: in this shallow spectacle,
This invisible activity, this sense.


By Wallace Stevens.

Speaking of invisible activity, I finished two more rows.

7 Comments:

Blogger jenifleur said...

Changing clocks is for losers, anyway. Speaking as an actualy farmer, if we all stopped honoring daylight "savings" time it would go away. Just like the correct spelling of "less" which was actually "fewer" but due to peer pressure had been changed.

I digress.

That sounds like some crappy-I mean great- movie my hub would watch (make me watch, too) and I cannot believe I haven't seen it. Maybe I'll make him watch it and get revenge.

3D whatever it was!

The whole lettuce as a hallucinogen makes complete sense, btw.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Heh, I bet the stripper pole in your house is a great conversation starter, eh?

Boy, where do I sign up for one of them slick answering systems?!

Nice - You are Marianne Moore. You are one weird poet who is totally obsessive-compulsive. Thankfully, people think you are harmless and somewhat like you and your work.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I love Wallace Stevens.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this has sparked an interest in the Manhattan project (and I am interested in it, endlessly, but you may not be), a great book (as if there's not enough on the TBR list, right?) is The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. Really great read.

I was John Ashberry. Same as 41% of people. I could drive myself batty doing these quiz things.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What is it with bad movies lately? Thanks for the heads up on Kiss Me Deadly. I watched (or rather turned off) Proof of Life and the Interpreter (okay I got throught that one, but how obvious can a plot be?)...bad,bad, bad.

Now I'm off to try the coffee quiz...hehe...and make some phone calls about stripper bar installation...lol.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

i think I do must go rent some old movies - wonder if they are avail on charter-on-demand?
Love those gloves in the last post.
and yes! to Calla. thanks for pointing the way....is that enabling?

4:43 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I liked Kiss Me Deadly, at least until the very end. I mean, I like a ton of those older, not so great movies. I feel they give you a glimpse into our psyche at the time that we forget about. I alos don't expect much from them. The ending though... It just didn't fit with the rest of it to me.
I love the name and number phone numbers too!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home