Thursday, March 30, 2006


Tame compared to Chris's subversive cross stitch, but the first one I ever attempted, for my mom, for the office. Also? Accurate.

In a note of epic tragedy: My watch stopped. My beloved Fossil watch that I can actually read the time all the time. For a practically blind person, that's very, very important. I can't buy a new one, Lent isn't over. I suppose I could get a battery for it, but I have the feeling it would cost more than the watch did. Grrrr. (No, I can't go without a watch! You might as well ask me to not carry a book around.) Good grief, is my wrist fat? My wrist???


No farther on any knitting - still half a row done on the shawl, still haven't done a gauge for twinset, still haven't done much but come home from work, crawl into bed, watch something on TV and sleep. Story of 1 last night was pretty entertaining and educational. I love stuff like that. No idea what's on TV tonight. Without A Trace, I hope. Next week? Martin's drug addiction catches up to him. ZZZZZZZ

Moll Flanders is the April Book of the Month for Knit the Classics and in April I would really like to both read the book and FINISH a project for it. Any suggestions? Can anyone come up with a way I can make the Dr Who scarf? Moll Flanders/Dr Who. It seems like a natural juxtaposition to me.

At least I'll only be working like a maniac until the 17th. I hope. I've got both the book and a book called Moll Flanders: An authoritative Text ready to be picked up at the library.

Yeah, along with Temple Grandin's Animals in Translation, Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities: The Battle For Scriptures and Maocyr Scliar's Centaur in the Garden. Maocyr Scliar wrote the book Yann Martel interpreted Life of Pi from, but this isn't that book. Never mind that I'm still lugging around The Dante Club (page 45! I can't get into it) and my own TBR shelf is more like a bookcase. Oh, and did I mention the part where I basically go home to sleep? And work the rest of the time? (occasionally, mind you, just occasionally cracking the net...)


13 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Best cross stitch ever! Some days I wish I had that tattooed on my forehead. ;)

Moll Flanders and Dr Who? I can't really work out a connection on that one. Unless he was one of Moll's lovers!

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that saying! I use it all the time.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's an excellent cross stitch. Plus you can actually have it at the office. I'm tempted to do "please kill me" for my office (from the book). Hee hee.

Hmm, I think a watch might be considered a necessity, like groceries...

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you have to get a new watch battery! Even if it costs more than the watch is worth. It's so hard to find a good watch that you like. Dr. Who might have traveled back in time to meet Moll Flanders. If he hasn't yet, maybe he will. It could happen!

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu can buy a new watch battery, they are relatively inexpensive, in fact you can buy one at the drug store, if you can get the back off your watch. I'd offer to do it for you, but you'd have to drive to St. Louis, and that would be more expensive then a new atch.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Mmmm? --Dr. Who? --Moll Flanders? We should be able to come up with something.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps there is an episode of Dr. Who where they go back to Moll Flander's time and encounter a Fallen Woman...?

10:08 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

I've been fascinated by Temple Grandin since Oliver Sacks wrote about her in "Anthropologist from Mars." It's a perfect title - she's a wonderful observer, but isn't able to immerse herself without being analytical.

GREAT cross stitch!

1:21 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

I've seen that cross stitch before in a boss' office.. hehe! It fit her too.

I think the watch is 'replacement', which should qualify? It isn't something you are buying new, as much are replacing a part so it works again. I'm not sure how strict your Lent rules are though :o(

I also like the 'I'm out trying to find myself -- If I should return before I get back, keep me here.' sign I've seen in a computer lab.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Not An Artist said...

You know, if a watch battery is too pricey, buy a cheap watch and pop its battery out to use. I've done it, although batteries are cheap.

I need some cross-stitch like that for my office too ;)

5:53 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Oh, Gettysburg? I really don't think I'd have the nerve for that! Wow.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Peevish said...

Moll Flanders... Hmmm...

You know, women of the time often wore small triangular kerchiefs around their necks and tucked into their bodices for modesty - maybe you could make one of those? A nice sheer lacy one, as it's Moll Flanders, naturally....

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the same Fossil watch for more than 10 years and have changed the battery at least 3 times. It's easy and you can get the battery for cheap. To open the back I use scissors; not to cut it, of course, but I use the ends to stick in the crevasses and then twist the back off. The batteries you can get on e-bay el cheapo in lots of 10. It's cheaper than buying 1 at the drug store. I have 9 extra of 395 so if you need that one I can mail it to you. I misplaced my Fossil and am looking for batteries for my old watches; I need a 390 or a 329. If anyone has extras of those we can swap. Contact me at thrill01[at]inetworld.net.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home