Monday, March 13, 2006

Actual Knitting Content!

Notice that there are row and rows of lace! Not necessarily Mim's pattern, I should probably say "as interpreted by" because what's up with all the dropping and adding of stitches that I do? It's not just the mohair either which is evil (but pretty) in it's own right.

I'm thinking that I can make this my Life of Pi project. Mohair, as Imbrium pointed out is from a goat (I think)and goats figure prominently in the book. More like scapegoat, and there you are! My knitting and the allegorical aspect of the book.

Jennifer made some of the stitcmarkers out of cats-eye and tiger eye, there are some aquatic looking colors, and voila. More reasons. The diamonds can represent the hardness of Pi's plight, or the worth of what he finds during it.

Did I mention I read Life of Pi? I really liked it, although I'm not a fan of the ending. Hate when authors, directors, etc do that. Make a choice. After declaration Pi makes about agnostics, atheists and believers, his author made the choice he despises most.

Yeah, woke up with a migraine yesterday and didn't have any Maxalt for it, so I took an old, old Fiornal. It worked, amazingly, and it also made me not want to operate heavy machinery, so lounged around and read and knitted all day. Lovely, lovely day.

Currently reading The Dante Club. Currently listening to the CD's on the History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts.

Anyone catch How William Shatner Changed the World on the History Channel last night? (Not you, Chris.) Boy, William Shatner has come a long way from the days of telling Trekkies to get a life. It was fun. I want to see the Computer Museum in the barn in Boulder Creek now. Madly.

More snow on Mt. Diablo. I think this is a record.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love lace mohair!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

Darn! I missed the William Shatner show! :(

I haven't read Life of Pi yet, book should be here tomorrow. I'm not sure that I'll have time to knit anything for it, with such little time.

Love what you are knitting! :) I can't wait to try some Mohair.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I actually think that the author does make a choice. I think the whole story is Pi's interpretation of what really happens to him. In the end it's all people, the animals merely represent the people.

Lace is looking good!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hee hee. :) But, how did he change the world other than by making us more critical of bad toupees and bad acting?? ;)

Bummer about the migraine. Hate them...

6:41 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

History? England? Tudors? Me likey. Do tell more. :)

I'm not sure what I think about Pi. Mostly I lean toward the opposite answer than Jennifer. I think maybe Pi knew that most people couldn't understand the real story of the Tiger so he gave them an alternate story with people instead. Pi has a unique understanding of faith & I think that all goes towards the understanding/interpretation of the story.

The Lady and The Tiger story drove me nuts too.

8:00 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Great work! I've tried to knit lace a few times and ended up with tangled yarn balls -- so, 'tips her glass to you'!

Sorry to hear about the migraine -- but glad you had something around that worked for it!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Miriam said...

I have to admit I was skimming and looking at pictures and I stopped and went "something looks familiar about that chart... hmmm..." so I read on and voila! IT'S MY CHART! haha!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Loved the Dante Club - but it made me realize that there are some things I know so little about!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Life of Pi on the flight home from San Francisco last July and LOVED it. I don't remember the ending enough to comment on it, but I DO know that it was so enchanting that I read through all kinds of puddlejumper turbulence over Albany at 10pm and wasn't going to let that get the way of my finishing it.

Colby sent me a picture of snow on windshields down in the Mission the other day. I thought I was leaving Albany to get AWAY from all this? Meanwhile we haven't had any snow to speak of for weeks...

11:16 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Life of Pi -- I was annoyed and then dazed. First, annoyed at the ridiculous French chef and floating island -- a real drift off into things that didn't fit well. Then, oh my... that's why the sudden shift. For me there is no doubt that the story was about people. It's quite disturbing, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Listening on CD can be difficult with family and intricate knit patterns, but I enjoy it and it's the only way I can find time to read nowadays. I'd rather knit!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins when I was in college. Through the whole book, I could see how it was going to end. And while I didn't like that ending, I knew it was genuine and right, and the only way it could end. And then...he wussed out. He went for the easy-but-wrong ending. And when I read the last sentence, I threw the book across the room (and scared the crap out of my roommate.)

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the colors, mohair can be a real pain, but it sure is pretty.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the mohair!

Add me to the people who loved Life of Pi, and I loved the ending, it actually made me want to re-read the entire book again as it changed my entire perspective of the story.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Hated The Lady and the Tiger! Ambuguity bothers me, can you tell?
But it works in Life of Pi. I can't decide which ending I believe.

Mim, I can't believe you recognized your pattern at all. Mangled, it is.

Snow! We're having such an incredibly cold spell, I can't believe it.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Hello from Zion! I love the mohair too. I haven't read the ending to The life of Pi yet. I'll have to let you know what I think.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home