Monday, March 20, 2006

A Little Progress & Flowers



Sheri brought me flowers to the the office yesterday because I was in an intensely weepy mood but mostly because she's The Best Friend Ever. Straight out of her garden. Frost must be good for some flowers. See? All year 'round.

And in knitting news, with a little help from Mim, I'm halfway through the repeats on the shawl! (Please don't remind me that each repeat gets progressively longer. I'm trying to think of it as compound interest instead of EIGHTY BILLION STITCHES.)



And that's it. It's all work a lot, knit a little, sleep later.


(NOBEL PRIZE)
by Boris Pasternak
1959

Like a beast in a pen, I'm cut off
From my friends, freedom, the sun,
But the hunters are gaining ground.
I've nowhere else to run.
Dark wood and the bank of a pond,
Trunk of a fallen tree.
There's no way forward, no way back.
It's all up with me.

Am I a gangster or murderer?
Of what crime do I stand
Condemned? I made the whole world weep
At the beauty of my land.

Even so, one step from my grave,
I believe that cruelty, spite,
The powers of darkness will in time
Be crushed by the spirit of light.

The beaters in a ring close in
With the wrong prey in view,
I've nobody at my right hand,
Nobody faithful and true.

And with such a noose on my throat
I should like for one second
My tears to be wiped away
By someone at my right hand.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Your shawl is looking lovely! And so are those flowers. You must be feeling better?

And yeah, I might've had a nicoise salad while I was out yesterday... ;)

The yarn update will be tomorrow. It's a pretty minimal update. :)

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh...Adamas is looking wonderful.

Compound interest. That's good. I like that.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww that's sweet, the flowers are beautiful, they remind me of your shawl colors.

2:39 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

What a wonderful poem - thank you for posting it.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Your shawl is going to be beautiful. Stick with it..it will be worth it.

6:40 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Your shawl is coming along nicely, the mohair must be behaving itself now ;o)

interesting poem as well, thanks!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Love the colorway on the shawl - it's really unusual!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home