Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Official Start of the Tudor Roses KAL!

Oh. Yesterday. And of course, I haven't started. I haven't gotten my yarn! Two for two. Will Eliz I be Rich red? Or Hempathy white? Only the postal service knows for sure.

Hezekiah meets Mr. Sloth. He stood up quite well to Hez batting at his paw - she seems to have
taken an instant dislike to him. You know, in a very old fashioned ladylike cutting him dead way (albeit swiping at his paw). But not for the camera. I told her that Chaos would've let me take that picture and the look she gave me! Clearly if Chaos jumped off a bridge, there would be one sensible cat who wouldn't follow his example.




Almost done with the back of the shell. The piece that I was going to finish last Wednesday. Oh well. I sort of forgot what size I was knitting and had to rip back to the arm decreases. Hez and I sat on the porch enjoying the rain while I knitted and tinked with it. And by rain, I mean it POURED. At one point, the eaves on the roof couldn't keep up with the torrent and it looked like a waterfall. See the comfy wool socks? I love that pair more than any other I've made, but they're not exactly showstoppers.




Yesterday I abandoned all knitting projects for some sewing WIP's while watching Sci Fi's marathon Andromeda. There's a cuff on a blouse that I absolutely cannot figure out how it's supposed to attach - for some reason the lining portion is the end of the sleeve, but the only way to work that is to attach the cuff about 6 inches above the end and, oh jeez. I'm going to look at it one more time tonight and if I can't figure it out by then, I'm hacking off the sleeve, lining it with that and then sewing the cuff to the sleeve. So instead I worked on the Victorian Nightgown. That's almost done, and if I could leave a seam unprotected, it would be completely done, but I can't do it.


My list for the Summer Reading Challenge:
(oh, and thanks Becky and Marji for the help on the buttons- almost got it, but not quite. I'll have to fool with it later.)

Mind you, this list is strictly from my TBR books (and believe me, there are more) and is subject to change on whim. As it most certainly will. But my general goal is the original 28 books read between 6/1 - 8/31.


A Pirate of Exquisite Mind by Diana & Michael Preston
The Queen's Conjuror:The Science and Magic of Dr. Dee by Benjamin Woolley
The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn by Retha Warnicke
Hollow Crown: A History of Britain in the Late Middle Ages by Miri Rubin
Dissolution by C J Sansom
The Wild Irish by Robin Maxwell
Her Majesty's Spymaster by Stephen Budiansky
Intrigue & Treason: The Tudor Court by David Loades
Bess of Hardwick by Mary S. Lovell
The Uncrowned King of England by Derek Wilson
London by Edward Rutherfurd



Okay, that was a pain. Note to self: Never take pictures of books again.

Good Omens, Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett
The Book Nobody Read: Chasing the Revolutions of Nicolaus Copernicus , Owen Gingerich
The Castle of Otranto, Horace Walpole
Captain Alatriste, Arturo Perez-Reverte
News of a Kidnapping, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Argument Culture by Deborah Tannen
River of Time by Igor Novikov
The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language by John McWhorter
1968 by Mark Kurlanksy
The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco
The Strange Death of Mistress Collins by Robert Begiebing
The Blank Slate by Stephen Pinker
The Ice Queen by Ann Hoffman
Children of the Company by Kage Baker
Why Geography Matters by Harm de Blij





















And in really depressing news:



You Passed 8th Grade Math



Congratulations, you got 8/10 correct!




Season finale of House tonight!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie! Send me your email address so I can send you a proper thank you for your fabby gift that you sent me!!!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Where did you get your Rowan Wool-Cotton? What size are you making & how much did you order? I think I am going to copy you and make Eliz I. I can't get a response from VY and can't decide on a substitute yarn for Catherine Parr so...help!

Got remember to watch House tonight.

3:59 PM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Yeah! I forgot that House was on tonight. Thank you for the reminder, I've set the DVR.

I hope your yarn shows up soon so that you can get going on the KAL.

I love the book list. "London" is a favorite of mine.

4:12 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

I took that math test before - and got I think the same score you did. I do hope your yarn comes soon!

Poor Hezekiah.. I bet she was hoping I'd send a gentleman kitty in a tuxedo and a top hat, hmm? A Sloth just won't do ;o)

Nice sewing break - I didn't know about the nightgown you were working on. My yellow skirt still needs a few more seams to be done -- like, most of them. :o(

4:23 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Wow, I'm impressed. That's one long list of books to read.

I hope the red comes first!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well, poop, I only got 9/10. Dammit, I can't remember the thing about -7 - I thought it was irrational, when it's an integer. Grr.

Heh, H woudn't follow Chaos over a cliff. Nor would Kelly of Celtic Cast On's cat Sockies. Nor would Jeanne's cats. :)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Maybe Hezekiah will warm up to Mr. Sloth. They are both very cute.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Look at Heze all covered up in the blanket. Too cute!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Good Omens is one of my all-time favorites. I just love that book. I'll be interested to see if you like it.

Thanks for the House reminder.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Good heavens, that's a huge reading list! Re: the blouse cuff, do you think you're supposed to fold the lining up and over to make the cuff? Just a thought, but I am more visual and have to look at things, sometimes from multiple directions. Now I have to check out Tudor Rose....

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally impressed that you passed 8th grade math. Thank goodness historians aren't expected to count or figure. What a great book list - you look like an anglophile with all the Brit books!

12:56 AM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Whohoo. I think the Tudor Roses KAL will be fun. I have too many WIP and so I am holding back...da%&^n it. I want to play. ;0( Thanks for stopping by! And no, no dates for the cowboys. They were too old for us anyway. And jogging shorts.....with boots.....c'mon. :0)

9:20 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

Fascinating list of books - I'm so looking forward to reading everyone's reviews from their lists.

Wasn't House incredible?

*spoiler*



I thought I had it figured out, that the man in the next bed was an hallucination. I got it completely wrong, eh? And I was rewarded by a closeup of those eyes...

10:20 AM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

Wow - that's quite the summer reading list! :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Lyssa said...

I passed 8th grade math 100% !

3:46 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Carrie, if you would like the heart-health red dress dishcloth for your mom, send me your addy and it is yours.

Becky

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list! Good luck with your reading. I am going to miss House this summer *sniff*. But that is a good thing because I have a few pages to read!

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home