Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day 2006

This is actually the memorial to Flight 93 in Shanksville, PA (a county over from where my brother lives) but it seemed like a fitting tribute to Memorial Day.






I'd post the rest of the weekend pix, but I went to the Kite Festival in San Ramon today - - it was awesome - one guy flew 3 kites himself in one of the exhibitions, another did a really hysterically funny routine to Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd (with a kite!), a couple danced via their two kites - just beautiful - classical music too, perfect - nice and windy - - ..........

And there's the rub. Nice and windy. After awhile I realized that I couldn't quite, y'know, breathe? And my eyes were running, itchy and red. Blearg. So I came home and quite desperately took the first allergy pill I found. Benadryl. I might be going to bed at 7pm tonight. So all the pix tomorrow. The weather was great! Mid 70's.

Saw X-Men 3 yesterday - liked it, but it was missing something. Oh, and SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER - SPOILER - SPOILER! Especially for San Francisco tourism. I'm reasonably certain that when Magneto rips the Golden Gate Bridge from its anchorages to set it down on Alacatraz Island that the cables aren't going to keep it from sinking like a stone into the Bay. Not to mention, is the Golden Gate Bridge long enough to reach Alcatraz? Yeah, that's what I found fantastical. Not a hairy blue Kelsey Grammer or teenagers that can walk through walls. But the Golden Gate Bridge Express to Alcatraz.

Bridge Quiz.

See? Not much of a spoiler. Like the Lost spoilers. So incredible vague I think you'd get more out of the trailers ABC runs. But just in case.

Shohreh Aghdashloo (Dina Araz, the terrorist wife & mother in season 4 of 24) was in X-Men 3. It took me a minute to place her, her voice is unmistakeable but with her hair up, she looked so different.

Reading Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin. Different. A fantastical tale of a (very) thinly veiled Prince Charles and Princess Diana who have been found wanting as heirs to the throne and thrown (literally) into the world to make their way and prove themselves. It's pretty funny but it's definitely quirky.

Oh, I won a contest! Whoo! And the prize was from Amazon. Thanks Heather.

And in knitting news, I finished the back of the Endless Garter Stitch Tank (Yay!) and am working on the front. It may not be actually faster but it sure feels perceptively faster with that 6 stitch 3/3 LC cable in the middle of it. Cross your fingers that I get one of the yarns I ordered for the Eliz I this week. As in Tuesday.

eta: There! That should fix all the links.

11 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

6:47 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

So, that was what he was doing to the bridge, huh? We have totally different tast in TV/movies but I caught that bit on Court TV ;-)

If you get your yarn tomorrow & I don't get mine, I'm going to throw a hissy fit! But I'll still cross my fingers for you ...

7:01 PM  
Blogger Marji said...

fingers crossed! toes too.
beatiful and fitting Memorial pic I think.
I started Winters Tale by Helprin several years ago, shelved it shortly after starting it, and have yet to pick it up again. Hope this latest is better.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You're so funny. That's just the kind of detail that I would get hung up on too.

Thanks for the morial pic. Hope the Benedryl didn't knock you out too much - that stuff is crazy potent.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I forgot about the Kite festival! Rats... Yeah, primetime for allergies has begun hasn't it?

6:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Kite Festival sounds so interesting...great way to spend the week-end, minus the allergies....hope you're feeling better!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Bummer about the allergies - the kites sound amazing! Looking forward to the pictures.

Congrats on winning that contest... but the link to Heather doesn't work... :(

8:28 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

Oh my goodness - if I take Benedryl, I'm on another planet (a very, very dry one) for at least a day. I hope you got some relief -

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

10:33 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

That kite festival sounds like a lot of fun! Allergies just suck. I've been feeling like clawing my eyes out. I can't wait to see your Eliz I progress. I got Tudor Roses from the library once, but it was way beyond my skills then. It still is, but not as much. I've been eyeing it on ebay.

3:23 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

hmm.. I'm going to have to make J take a close look at that scene - with the bridge -- he is insisting on bringing me with to X-men 3 about an hour from now.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home