Sunday, June 04, 2006

Weekend

Meet Sophia! Isn't she adorable? Look at that little Alfalfa hairdo she's got going there. This is about the clearest photo of the girl yet (an 11 week old cockapoo) - she is one friendly little whirlwind.






Check out the Vacation Swap package that Amy Artisan sent me! Those stitchmarkers were custom ordered & designed, not to mention the envelope purse Amy knit me (which I put to use for maps etc. in the car as she suggested) , the balls of pink variegated yarn for me to knit up, the notebook, the shortbread cookies (all mysteriously gone by the way), candied cherries, a pink striped pen, Aveen sunblock chapstick - and all this while the girl herself is gone more often than not! A big thanks to Amy for the fabulous Swap Package and a big thank you to Jennifer for putting the swap together.




I don't know if you can click this to make it larger (I'm trying out Adobe Photoshop) but what's in the tree over Sheri's deck is a teensy little hummingbird nest with a teensy little hummingbird sitting in it! I've never seen a hummingbird nest, or for that matter, a hummingbird sit that still for that long in my life.


And last, and least, the progress so far on the twinset shell - the cable looks better, and I'm almost to the arm decrease, but what is TRULY important is that the tomato plants its posing on look healthy and ready to deliver bushels of tomatos. Can't. Wait. We got a single yucko tomato out of 6 plants last year! Clearly we did something wrong. I can eat tomatos as if they're apples. Yum, yum, yum. And tomatos out of the garden are the only way to go. Even Farmer's Market tomatos don't come close.

Tonight: The 4400 returns. I think last season is running on USA today as a mini-marathon until the 10pm Season Premiere tonight.

Dr. Who's season finale is this Friday at 9pm. Yeah, nothing much else is on TV. The stray History/PBS/Discovery Channel show. I did however, finish Freddy & Fredericka by Mark Helprin as my first book in the Summer Reading Challenge. I liked it, it was a quirky fantastical retelling of the Prince Charles and Princess Diana story, if Merlin had sent Prince Charles on a quest w/Princess Diana as his only companion to conquer the colonies (the US) and find his Inner King.

Currently reading Jane Hirshfields essays in Nine Gates, Entering the Mind of Poetry. It's perfect for a summer day like today, to slow down, read and inhabit poetry fragments with her to guide me through them. Not just read closely and mindfully, but also to feel the pulse of the poetry.

Next Saturday, June 10th, is Knit In Public Day. Franklin's Panopticon Shop has T-Shirts with all sorts of cities represented. Not to mention, Dolores.

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I've got to find a way to kick my daughter off the tv so I can watch that 4400 marathon.

Thanks for alerting me to that Halperin book - I have to read it because I have to read everything remotely connected with Princess Diana. But it sounds like a good read anyway.

Let us know how you like that yarn - I've never heard of it.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Aww, those stitch markers are so-o cute and shortbread cookies! Yum, my favourite.

I love the name Sophia. She's gorgeous. Are you going to spin her hair?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

What a cute little pup. I bet she provides lots of entertainment.

Those stitch markers are sure cute.

You've gotten a lot done on the cable shell, too.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Sophia is adorable. I hadd a cockapoo when I was in high school. She was very smart and a very special dog.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

What a great vacation swap package! I'm glad you had a good time with the swap. The twin set is coming along quite well! And I want some tomatoes...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What does H think of S?

Great swap package! That's a great idea for maps in the car.

Yes, the hummingbird picture gets bigger - cool!

6:58 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

I can see the hummingbird - she is beautiful! Is Sophia yours? I can't remember? She is a pretty little girl ;o)

I'm going to have to keep my eye on that etsy shop! Those sheep markers are just great!!

7:20 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

Glad to see that everything arrived safely! :)

Homegrown tomatoes...mmm...the biggest downside to all this work travel this summer is that I can't have my deck garden - I love having tomatoes & herbs in pots. :)

What a cutie dog! :)

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow how awesome a hummingbird nest. I've never seen one.

Love the stitch markers.

And the puppy, oh my goodness. It's really unfair to show pictures like that.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home