Wednesday, May 31, 2006

June Begins!



This was taken last night at what turned out to be a free preview for Educators of The Merry Wives of Windsor at the California Shakespeare Festival (aka CalShakes) (before they told us no pictures).

Darn, because the puppets they used as half the cast were amazing. The staging, blocking and realism were incredible. Not so Shakespearean, but then again, when has that Festival ever? It's the old Berkeley Shakespeare Festival relocated to its own amphitheater (maybe ten years ago?)

The Summer Reading Challenge (forum) officially starts today and of course, I'm not starting with anything on my list, I'm not done with Frederick and Fredericka yet, Aunt Dimity is due back on Saturday, and four of the books on hold came in. (The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, The Last Days of Henry VIII: Conspiracies, Treason and Heresy at the Court of the Dying Tyrant by Robert Hutchinson (I love non-fiction titles. They're so.....overwrought in a descriptive kind of way), Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry by Jane Hirschfield and To the Tower Born by Robin Maxwell.

I can't get into the Summer Reading Challenge Forum either because evidently I'm not the Carrie K registered and it hates all my attempts to stay close to my name. It was a little disconcerting to see a CarrieK listed as a homeschooling mom - I've got no kids, definitely not bothering to school, home or otherwise, the imaginary spawn.

Neither back-ordered yarn has shown up for my Elizabeth I for the Tudor Roses KAL. Not that I'm done with the shell of the Twin Set - and I love that 3 foot rule, Jay! "If someone notices it from three feet away, poke them in the eye!" Advice that brings tears. Or I can go with Knittin Brit in WI said, it's a design feature. Like Jay made on his shirts. Go check out his "mistake". I should wish.

Got quite a bit done on it at any rate at the play last night, it's a fairly mindless pattern, and not nearly as boring as plain garter stitch. Argh! Why didn't I hold it up in front of the players/puppets & claim to be taking a pic of it?


In defense of Magneto and the X-Men 3 movie stunt Allison pointed out that the the distance to Alcatraz is 1.5 miles and the length of the bridge is 1.7 miles so considering that part of it was destroyed, it was almost a perfect fit. How is that too geeky? That's marvelous! I still maintain it'd sink like a stone, suspension cables intact or not, but at least the logistics work out.

In honor of the (still uneaten) Chocolate Lab, a way to keep track of your dog:
GPS Dog Collars. And you can get text messages from Fido! Well, not that kind, but still. I'd hate to see what Hez would send me.


Kelli crocheted a gorgeous dog collar. I keep seeing all these pet doodads, both because of Rebekah's Charity Pet Drive and Sheri got a cockapoo puppy yesterday that I haven't even seen yet. Puppies! Soooo cute.

. The knitter's version of Fuzzy Dice. (It's cold in the Orinda hills at night. Wool socks are awesome. Even better when they're dry.)

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

GPS dog collars...too much (although I could have used one on my Noro dog a couple of weeks ago when he decided to take himself for a walk...hehe),

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GPS dog collars, really, that's pretty neat. We have Abner microchipped. I wish I could get Basil microchipped. It's possible, but I wouldn't want to put the little guy through it.

That is a neat stage setting. I can only imagine what those puppets must have been like.

Off to see X-Men this weekend. My husband hates going to see any big movie on opening weekend. So we always wait one week.

2:08 PM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

The set looks almost like a painting (on canvas - I know the set is painted?) in your picture :o) I had to look twice once I read about the play.

I LOVE puppet plays - I took my mother to see Beauty and the Beast with 'magic' and life-size puppets when I was in high school. She had never been to a play that wasn't put on by school kids - and it was a professional troop coming through. It was so fun - especially when Beauty's bed became covered in paper flowers that appeared from nowhere :o)

I like the sock idea -- that might work well here!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ok, the dicey socks are brilliant!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Goodness sakes woman, just eat it! It's not going to reproduce or get better with age.

And it might make you feel better about not getting your yarn order ;-)

Love the set. Nice colors. I see a FI in there!

5:23 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Please let me know what you think of Jane Hirshfield's book -- I'm enjoying it --

6:39 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Cal Shakes! I love seeing plays there.

I like your version of the fuzzy dice. :)

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... what yarns are you hoping to knit your Elizabeth I in?
I've been stash trolling, hoping to avoid the new yarn price-tag, and MIGHT be able to swing it with elann's alpaca/silk blend, though in a color I'd not otherwise have chosen...

8:25 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I love the knitter's fuzzy dice! I always get insane about waiting for yarn to arrive.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Marji said...

love the set too. LOL, Marina sees a FI there - biggy surprise!
Can you cancel your yarn order? Nancy here at my LYS has 10 sk of Wool-cotton in Rich in stock....
"fuzzy dice" are so ... funny
Funny thing: I emailed Carrie K from the reading list thinking it was you, just clicked on the link, without thinking too much about it, and got back a really puzzled kind of email from her. Did you maybe try KCarrie?

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your "fuzzy dice"! Although mine are much smaller and red
(Red So(x)cks).

10:16 AM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I agree, the set looks great.

The sock idea is hilarious. All you need now is a felted bra for the front of your car and you'll be set.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never liked fuzzy dice, but drying socks under the rear-view mirror, now those I could live with. Got here via paperclips...your blog rocks!

BFN, G

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home