Sunday, June 11, 2006

My Yarn Came!

Well, not that way. Finally got it in the mail Saturday and I still haven't cast on Eliz I, even though....



....I basically ripped the swatch off the needles so I wouldn't have to look for another pair the same size (or waste time binding off) and then.....I dithered about the cast on I should use. (I'm thinking long-tail). It's here! It's here! I can barely believe it.















At the Live Oak Festival in Berkley yesterday, I picked up this darling baby penguin postcard/picture (yeah, I need a picture of it here) that Sheri Rice made. Oddly enough, her business is called Paper Quilts. I'm pointing out the log cabin looking pictures to my Sheri (My BFF! And Ra & Sophie's Mommy) before I realize the various quilt patterns are not accidental. Yeah, my grasp of the obvious is........well, never mind.

A few long distance shots of the Festival. They had some amazing crafts there. No knitting in public, come to think of it. Not even the woman selling the knitware - not that I did more than finger a few scarves in her booth. There was a weaving loom in the booth next to her. I would love to learn to weave on a loom.




I did manage to finish back and front of the shell, which should be merrily blocking away but instead I seamed the shoulders (a 3 needle bind off looks dumb on garter stitch - is there any way I can just look at a project and just know that without trying it? Any way? Other than experience, I mean. It's sitting there while I debate seaming the whole thing together for the final I-cord edging and figuring out the blocking later, or block it while it's still reasonably flat. Yeah, Critter Blanket tonight during - Whoops! Must go! The 4400 at 9 on USA. (The Closer w/Kyra Sedgewick premieres tomorrow at 9pm on TNT. I can't quite decide whether I like the show or not).

I'll probably be compulsively reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, during it anyway. That girl had one messed up interesting upbringing.


The view from the million dollar houses they've been building in my neck of the woods. Yup, right next to a rock quarry. I was actually trying to get a shot of the full moon but....

Finished reading Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling (483 pages). It's an apocalyptic tale that follows the fates of a Wiccan and her coven; a lapsed Lutheran pilot and his small plane passengers; the Willamette Valley and Portland area after 6:15 March 15th when something causes all electricity to fail and changes the properties of gunpowder etc.

A sort of a cross between 1066 and Star Date whatever, it was an entertaining, fairly plausible look at what the world turns into when, well, if not the clock - the capabilities turn back in time. The only thing I wish (other than the "love" scenes being rewritten because they were soooo dopey) was that a couple of the characters had shown up at the end. And that somebody knew how to knit and spin and they mentioned it. Crops, swordfighting, horsetraining, cattle, archers, yes. But c'mon, no spinners? No knitters? Phhht.

14 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Let me suggest the Twisted German Cast On. I think it is the best cast on for everything. Nice and stretchy if needed, holds it's shape well and makes a nice finished edge.

4400 was pretty good tonight!

9:30 PM  
Blogger BeanMama said...

D*mn, I missed the festival! Didn't realize it was this weekend. Poo. And I am making Elizabeth I in almost that SAME color! How fascinating! I've swatched but I have another irritating project that must leave my needles before I begin EII.

What's the Twisted German Cast On, Stephanie?

10:46 PM  
Blogger CynCyn said...

rowan yarn, but what kind?

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous yarn color. :)

That moon shot looks like it was taken driving through the canyon coming into Albuquerque!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Speaking about construction near our homes, have you seen how the city has just given up on that lane on Ygnacio, and decided to give it back to nature? At least I think that's what they're doing as they went into the median to make another lane.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Love the yarn color. I go back and forth on The Closer too. Now I'm off to look up the Twisted German caston.

9:00 AM  
Blogger sillyewe said...

Yes, yes!!! What *kind* of Rowan?? I have been thinking of Eliz I as well. Did you swatch anything else? Cannot WAIT to see it get going. ;0) And clearly, you DO need more stash enhancement. (evil laugh)

10:54 AM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Great yarn and you've already dove into it :o)

The alternate history book sounds interesting - but the last one I tried (Island in the Sea of Time - Stirling) I just couldn't finish -- something about 'the good team' (the leaders, of course) always getting along and knowing what to do all of the time... J finished it, but said that bothered him a bit too.

**wrestling Radar kitten in her lap as she codes her programming today**

10:58 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Woo-hoo! The new yarn is here, the new yarn is here!! :)

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn, it'll make a fantastic sweater.

I love that picture in the woods.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No knitters? Pfft.

The festival looked great though :)

What is the yarn? I love the colour.

1:43 AM  
Blogger susoolu said...

Eliz 1 is going to be gorgeous - such a rich looking colour.

And I can't believe a festival without knitters! What is the world coming to? (And, as it was WWKIP day, did you take part?) But it looks beautiful, and cool, meandering through the trees there.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Obsidian Kitten said...

yeah, so where IS the baby penguin, huh? you can't mention a picture of a baby penguin and then leave me hanging like that.

so...so I didn't really miss the first-of-the-season episode of the 4400 then, even though I missed it? (they started doing those "clip" eppys on Lost, too, very annoying...better than reruns, i guess, but still.)

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so glad I found your blog! LOVE Elizabeth I... It's on my list of things to knit (oh come on Brigitte like what isn't?!?). Such a beautiful, classic design... What Rowan yarn are you using for it?

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home