Sunday, June 25, 2006

Gauge Matters & Other Amazing News



Notice how warped the Log Cabin Critter Blanket is? It turns out that if you vary your tension to see how much the fabric will soften up, it'll change size. Isn't that amazing? It's almost the basis of the whole gauge thing! Who knew? Gah. Evidently I knit at a different gauge sitting at a table reading too.

Other fascinating lessons learned: It's infinitely easier to pick up stitches American style (yarn in my right hand). No matter how simple a stitch pattern, it takes me an eternity to knit anything. If a stitch is really, really, really hard to pick up, it's just possible it's because it isn't necessary to pick up a stitch there. (I kept picking up stitches at the very corners of the Log Cabin. Uh, don't. Another reason for the warping.) Garter stitch is a pain to fix. (I dropped my obligatory stitch at the beginning of a log and couldn't quite squeeze it back in and in pattern. So there's a short row stockinette stitch "fix" running up the back of it.

I'm already planning out the next Log Cabin (addictive comes to mind) - I think out of the leftover primary color baby yarn....... If nothing else, it'll match the auto baby booties that are knit but not sewn up. I'm going to sew up The Shell at some point today too. I'm estimating it'll take me maybe an hour or two to sew it up and pick up and knit on the I-cord edging around the neckline. So I'm off by........2 or 3 hours? 2-10 days? Weeks?


Hezekiah, pretending she wants to come in and bond with me, but really only wants what she didn't eat earlier for breakfast.


The real reason to have a garden. They're the super huge beefsteak tomatos and I have a feeling they're going to take a super huge amount of time to gestate.



You Are The Hermit



You posses a great deal of wisdom and the ability to see people for who they are.

You are always looking ahead at the future, developing visions.

A loner, you tend to travel by yourself through life, seeking your own truth.

You don't crave material things or fancy titles. You have no baggage.



Your fortune:



It's possible that there is a unknown guiding figure in your life, ready to help you.

All you have to do is find this person and seek their advice.

It's also possible that you need to start seeking the meaning of your own life.

Either way, there's some deep thinking you need to undertake, and it needs to be done soon.





The only reason I post that "quiz" is because of the result. I like The Hermit. I think of myself as an Outgoing Hermit. The rest of it? Ha. No baggage? Deep thinking? Argh. Backed up one too many spaces & took out the whole result? Edited to say: Ha. Found it again.

Oh, speaking of deep thinking, The 4400 is on tonight! And The Dead Zone after it. 9 &10pm USA. Of course, Miss Marple is on at 9 & 10pm on PBS and I'm kind of fond of the old lady, even if I prefer Margaret Rutherford's Miss Marple to this one. At least there's knitting going on. The Closer tomorrow night at 9pm on TNT. Having Brenda's mom show up is much more fun than I expected it to be.

10 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

You are crazeeee! After over 3 lbs./3,300 yds of yarn and nothing but garter stitch, I wouldn't mind if I don't do another garter stitch E.V.E.R.!

No way, no how I'm gonna to another miter square ... blah!

So, we get to see the Shell tomorrow? Yippeee!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Obsidian Kitten said...

Hezekiah is a beauty! typical cat--they want you to think that they're thinking about you, when it's really all about them. feh!

And that's oregano? here i thought it was catnip...

11:02 AM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

oohh ouch on the critter blanket - are you sure it won't block out after it's been washed?

yay for tomatoes! And Hezekiah, poor girl with all that hair in this heat -- she wants to steal your air conditioning too, I'm sure of it ;o)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Your tomatoes are inspiring. Ours are coming along nicely but they don't look that good.

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the other Miss Marple better, too. But the production values on this version are very nice.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

H looks very sweet. Are you sure she doesn't maybe want to bond, too??

Thanks for the tip about the corners...

3:44 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

So those log cabin blankets are addictive? Ok, I think I'll not start one for a while.

5:26 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

So I turned out to be the Moon (aomething tells me that the cards are all major arcana). Apparently there is somehting about a journey: oh yeah? The one that keeps getting longer each time I check on it?***CV

8:18 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

And I'm the High Priestess.

Cool.

Hey, looking forward to seeing the Shell too!

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think critters will mind warping at all.

Hezekiah, you are definitely one fluffy cat! Look at all the fur, could I spin you?

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home