Monday, July 10, 2006

Working For The Weekend

More accurately, working to pay off my yarn purchases. Case in point: Touch Me. Soooo soft. I probably could have resisted it had there not been a knit up scarf right next to the yarn........did I mention it was soooo soft? Pretty.... I can't quite decide what stitch pattern to use, I'm leaning toward a corset cable and some kind of ribbing.


The Log Cabin Critter Blanket is done! You might notice that the critter nearby is is not technically on the blanket, she's got her paws under it.



I pulled out the Pretty Pink Cabled Scarf to make myself feel better as a knitter and managed to knit up quite a bit more - relatively speaking. I knit to the end of the first ball of yarn, but thankfully it was a left over ball, I'd made the Miss Dashwood baby hat and some sockies out of it before starting the scarf. Hopefully the remaining ball of yarn will be enough to finish the thing but I could probably get away with a mismatched dyelot if I need to. I've seen tons of that yarn in that color.

Placing a stitchmarker to mark your progress is a genius idea. The first marker is where I picked it up on Friday (after a long, long hiatus).


Sadly, I didn't notice until last night that I had made THREE freaking mistakes on Friday. The count wasn't off! I've never mucked up a cable without throwing off my stitch count. Until now. Thank heaven for new mistakes, eh? Grrrr.

The mistakes are way too far down/not that horrifyingly awful to unravel and/or rip back (for me). I'll just know they're there and will undoubtedly point them out if I ever finish the thing and/or get any compliments on it.


Saw Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest on Saturday morning. It was.....okay. A little creepier than the first, a little too violent/gross out, waaaaay too long and clearly the middle of a trilogy. It would have been better to see it before the final movie, Labor Day 2007 and get the whole story.

And they could have skipped the whole island and dog scene.

But Captain Jack was as campy and sexy as always and Will Turner pirated up. I like Keira Knightly and she was suitably swashbuckly and nervy and implausibly disguised as a cabin boy. She and Captain Jack were quite the pair. I liked her old fiancee a bit better this go 'round.

I tried to watch the History Channel's Pirates of the Carribean last night but couldn't get into it. Couldn't get into much. At least they killed off someone I didn't mind dying on The 4400 but too bad it wasn't Isabelle.

Tonight, The Closer on TNT at 9pm. Bones is back (in repeats) on Wednesday at 8pm on Fox but the best news is that Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis start their new season Friday at 9pm and 10pm, respectively. They're an hour later than the previous season. The SG1 storyline sounds a bit awful and I'm not a big fan of the new Big Bad, the Ori, but Richard Dean Anderson is going to be back (for probably two or three episodes) and Ben Browder (Farscape) more or less took his place, (as much as anyone could replace RDA) so at least there's The Pretty, if not The Plot.

Finished Intrigue & Treason: The Tudor Court 1547-1558 (319 pages/TBR/HB) by David Loades. It had some interesting stuff in it, but it basically read as an expanded version of footnotes, complete with its own footnotes. I'd recommend it only for the hardcore historical buff.


Read The Friendship Test by Elizabeth Noble (437 pages)(BC/L) as a Book Club selection. It was okay. A little too long for my tastes but the soap opera twists kept me going. The characterizations and plotlines seemed very one dimensional.

A cat and her security yarn.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you just made my day! I had no clue Anderson was back on Stargate for even one episode this season! I'm doing a happy dance! I like the new guy, but I just love Richard Dean Anderson.

That yarn is beautiful, I can see why you had to have it. I wanted to pet the monitor it looks so soft and yummy.


Oh, who died on 4400? I missed last night's episode.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Touch Me. I made a chemo cap for a friend out of that yarn. Very slippery--I used Addi Turbos, but wouldn't do that again! The yarn also "wormed" badly, but I finally emailed the manufacturer, and they suggested washing it just a bit--took care of the whole problem.

Agree with you on Pirates...I didn't really care that it wasn't as good as the original, because hey, Captain Jack is fun no matter what.

2:05 PM  
Blogger AmyArtisan said...

The new yarn is lovely! And the pink scarf looks fun. Congrats on finishing up the critter blanket!

I think I'll be seeing "Pirates..." this weekend.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

The color you picked in the Touch Me yarn is gorgeous!

How's Stargate Atlantis?

3:39 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Congrats on the critter blanket. The new yarn looks yummy and I love the pink scarf. The Closer tonight: woot!

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the critter blankie completion! And on the Touch Me purchase...hmmmmm..

You know, SG-1 should never have brought in Claudia Black - it's too distracting after all the history she & Ben Browder had on Farscape. But, as you said, someone had to replace Jack and Ben is very good eye candy. :) I have higher hopes for SG Atlantis - I like their story line much better.

"Eureka" is starting soon too. Depending on where they go with it, it could be pretty good.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice work on the blanket! Congrats.

Yeah, we had the same reaction to Pirates when we saw it...call me old fashioned but I don't like that much "loose ends" dangling for over a year!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

WOW--Touch Me! I knit a scarf from one ball of Touch Me. It is the most unimaginably soft yarn in the universe. When I first touched it I screamed. I couldn't believe it.

Too bad it is so expensive!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

The critter blanket looks great -- and is certainly critter-approved. Nice pink yarns you are working in now. I'll have to check out that Touch Me yarn for a chemo cap.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Ooooo...pretty scarf... Where did you find the pattern?
:)

5:07 AM  
Blogger knittinbrit_in_wi said...

With a name like Touch Me, you know the yarn is going to feel beautiful. I think I may have to get some and make a chemo hat for someone I know with it. (thanks amy for the tip)

Doesn't it help when you can see what progress you're making on a project with marking your starting point with a marker. Come on, now it's your turn to finish up some projects.

9:11 AM  
Blogger RheLynn said...

Beautiful yarn and awesome finished critter blanket! It looks great! And if Hez put her paws of approval on it, well you know the kitties at the shelter are going to love it ;o) after all, Hez is very discerning :o)

I agree totally on the island scene -- a whole lot of that entire scene could have been snipped away into a lovely little DVD extra!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yay - you finished the critter comforter and it looks very cool! I cannot see any mistakes on that scarf. :) Love that final H picture!

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh look at that log cabin blanket... ooooooooooooooo.

6:49 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I think I'm going to have to get me to the cinema!

That is lovely yarn.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home