Thursday, February 02, 2006

The World Is Too Much With Us

And my contribution to the poetry posting (see Grace's Poppies blog) is one of my favorites by William Wordsworth:

The World Is Too Much With Us (1807)

The world is too much with us; late and soon;
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

*****************************


Although Mary Jo and I always (or frequently) recite Edgar Allen Poe's El Dorado whenever we get together because we had to memorize it in our 4th grade class and it speaks quite dramatically (particularly when we perform it, being hams).

El Dorado

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight
In sunshine and in shadow
Had journeyed long
singing a song
In search of El Dorado.

But he grew old;
This knight so bold
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like El Dorado

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow -
"Shadow!" cried he,
"Where can it be -
This land of El Dorado?"
"Over the mountains of the moon,
Down the valley of the shadow.
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for El Dorado."

*******************

And in other news.........nada. Did another half inch on the scarf, a few more rows on the socks, continued to completely ignore the almost finished vest, did discover that I have no room for the yarn I bought and maybe I should clean out a dresser and use it as central yarn storage, but it would involve getting rid of stuff and that is just not possible. I come by my packrat genes honestly, when my grandmother died at the age of 94 years, she still had my dad's elementary school drawings, report cards, schoolwork, music sheets (Dad plays the piano).....

Stitches West is in two weeks! Not many classes left either, but then, it's all about the Market for me anyway. One of these years I'm going to take a class.

Don't forget Dancing With The Stars tonight! Keep Tia Carrere in!

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I'm going to have to experience Stitches West this year vicariously through you! Take pics if possible and buy lots and lots of yarn!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I love it - "I have no room for yarn... Stitches West Market is coming up!" Hee hee.

Thanks for the poems.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Stitches, stitches, stitches!!! We're shopping on Saturday, when are you going?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

And your point is what, exactly Chris? No comprende.....lol.

I think I'm going to end up going on Sunday, I've got a Bat Mitzvah to attend on Saturday, unless it winds down early.

Lots of pics! Maybe not lots of yarn. See Chris's post. But then again......I missed it last year...

6:55 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Any Poe is great to recite aloud. There is a wonderful revision of the Raven told from the perspective of Poe's cat. I'll have to hunt it up **CV

8:54 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Did you ever hear Donovan's version of El Dorado? It's on his "Sutras" album, and it's well worth the listen!

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home