Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I Was Forced To Buy Yarn.....


by.......unseen forces that don't give a fig that I will be knitting all this yarn in a cardboard box under a bridge in my old age. Which is not that far away. Now. Which one of these two should be the Adamas shawl?

The top two of the Zephyr JaggerSpun silk/wool blend.

They don't name yarns the way they do lipsticks, do they? I would love that job but undoubtedly there's more to it.

The other is a Kid Merino by Crystal Palace Yarns. I still mourn their retail shop, Straw Into Gold, off Ashby.

And these are the yarns for Rachel's scarf. (And if you're reading this Rachel, don't get your hopes up. It takes me approximately eleventy million years to finish anything. I need a good stitch and/or pattern too. Do you like fringe? )















I picked this all up at The Yarn Boutique in Lafayette....it's a little hard to find down the "alley" but it's conveniently located right past the Lafayette Book Store. I did manage to not buy any books there (mainly by not venturing in).




Oh, and watch Bleak House on Sunday nights at 9pm. I caught the second episode (but not the first) (out of six) and it was riveting. I've got to read the book now. But now, or after the mini series is over? I don't want to spend the next four episodes yelling at my TV That's five people you're combining! And why would X be doing that when it was Y who .......gah. I try to see the film version first.

8 Comments:

Blogger Whit said...

I absolutely agree about watching the movie/tv show first. Nothing ruins a good movie faster than having read the book.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yes, if you've started the show, don't read the book until after. The only problem with reading a book after seeing a movie, is I keep picturing the actors instead of letting my imagination work out how the characters look.

I love Yarn Boutique. The prices are so good!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Can I reserve the cardboard box beside yours under the bridge? I can also build us a fort with unused sewing, beading, and crochet supplies.

I'd have to swatch both the crystal palace and the zephyr before I could decide between the two beauties. Make sure you can see the stitches with the mohair. I'm still coming down from the crazy mohair lace caused.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

But it's better to read the book later and picture the actor, than watch some hideously miscast actor mouth lines that somebody else said over something somebody else did. For me, anyway.

A fort? You are so my new next door neighbor, fickleknitter! I've got some beading supplies to kick in. I never did learn to bead and the beads I bought could only be used on lace weight yarn. There's a really hideous example of my first and only foray into bead knitting somewhere in the blog, but, hey, at least I know it's possible.

10:18 AM  
Blogger luvs2knit said...

Thanks for your comment on the FallcableKAL. I absolutely loved knitting with Rowan Magpie; however, it is discontinued : (!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I vote the kid merino for the shawl. I think it will look ethereal. (How's that for a smarty pants word?).

Watch the movie first - you'd never catch up if you start reading now anyway. dickens is really the Dickens to read - at least for me. 10,000 characters and meandering plotlines, episodic writing drawn out to epic proportions. I actually think watching the movie first will make reading the book a better experience later.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Whit said...

You could always take your DPNs to work and poke people.... muahahah

5:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, I vote for the silk-wool, because I think it will feel divine.

I'm not sure cardboard will protect our yarn sufficiently...

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home