Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Back From Portland (OR)

And I cannot believe that I have never been to Powell's before. I thought I had, I'd heard about it certainly, but no, I had never been there before. Anyone who loves books? Drop what you're doing immediately and go there. Now. I'll wait.

They not only had books (multiple copies even) by Robert J. Sawyer and Jonathan Carroll (my current Search For authors) but Conrad Haynes (a mystery series about Professor Harry Bishop that no one carries anymore and is probably long out of print). And everything else. I was good. I only bought.....three books, I think. Good thing too, because I ended up flying home instead of driving back. But it was mostly because I had brought 3 books with me and all those TBR books on my shelf already..........oh yeah, and my resolution! Not to buy new books. Yeah, that's what did it. My NYE resolution. Ha. I mean, yes.

And I bought a coffee cup and a tote from Powell's. And a latte. But then I bought lattes everywhere. Powell's and everywhere else. Coffee People. I love that name.

Lots of yarn stores! I dragged Sue to a couple of them, even in she did sit outside in the car at the third one. Some people. Pictures tomorrow, or tonight when I download 'em. I knitted a partial sock and ripped it back (wait until you see the colors I chose, and then the 3rd color I almost used when I ran out of one - lets just say that "clash" would be kind and "ugly" would be true) and started a scarf with some stitch I picked out of the Harmony Guide that looked easy (it was) and pretty (is is) but possibly the ball of yarn is not going to be enough for the length I want.........

They have some gorgeous home dec shops. I went into one called the Pearl Retriever and the poor saleswoman. There was a pet shop attached to the main store and I was petting the .......hey, a golden retriever! I don't know if the retriever was Pearl or if that's the district I was in (I think it's the district) and anyway, the poor woman tries to make polite conversation with me and asks me if I have a pet, and what do I do? I burst into tears and tell her "I used to." I felt so bad for her because she looked like she wanted to simultaneously hug me and shove me out of the store which would be pretty much my reaction, you know?

5 Comments:

Blogger chittavrtti said...

Wow. Only 3 books? Out of all the floors of books to choose from... I'm impressed :) Which yarn stores did you go to?***CV

9:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like a fun trip, Carrie!

Jonathan Carroll is great! Insane, but great. It's been a while since I read any of his stuff... just passed my copy of The Land of Laughs on to a friend, actually.

I have fond memories of my brief visit to Powell's 8 or 9 years ago. I wasn't a knitter then, so I never saw the yarn stores.

*hug* for the pet store experience. :(

5:20 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I know, cv! I was soooo proud of myself. But it was either 3 or 3,000. Or 3 million. I could go completely insane there.

The yarn stores I went to were Northwest Woolworks (I think), Abundant Yarns and Lint. NW Wool was the only place I bought yarn at. See above reasoning for Powell's.

Powell's not only had most of Jonathan Carroll's books, Chris, they had multiple copies! I've been lucky to find one book of his - period - around here. And I think you can find anything around here. It's the SF Bay! We have it all.

2:37 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Powell's is why I love living here(however much I miss SF). Powell's is ...dare I say it...online too. You were in my neighborhood when you visited Lint's--they are nice people there. And maybe Northwest Wools in Multnomah Village? I'll have to seek out Abundant Yarns***CV

8:58 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

The first time I went to Portland all directions were given from Powell's so I had to go! Last time I bought one of their tote bags which my MIL appropriated and I don't like their new ones so I didn't bother this time.

Last month I went to Knit/Purl (my favorite), Lint and one other I can't remember. I didn't buy anything from Lint but I should have, they had a great selection!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home