Friday, December 23, 2005

Things My Cat Made Me Do


1. Never, ever, close a door. Sheba was very John Wayne in The Quiet Man. "There will be no locked doors between us, Mary Kate!" Or y'know, me. I got out of the shower last Thursday and all the hot air was still in the room and the bathroom door was still closed. I've never been so sad to be warm.

2. Tilt all mirrors so that she could observe me at all times without actually having to look at me. Actually I caught her ostensibly ignoring me early on only to realize she was staring at me in the mirror. She loved mirrors.

3. Get up early. And here I had thought that I was naturally a morning person.

4. Hang out and watch TV, knit or read on the bed. It turns out that she liked to lounge around on the bed because she really did not approve of the new couch. At all. And I don't really like to sleep alone.

5. Sleep well knowing that the weird sounds in the house were somehow her, or that she would protect me from them. Now? God knows what that noise is.

6. Sleep well until she decided that she needed a snack at 3am that is. Which she generally announced by producing a sound that air raid sirens would envy.

Stupid things I miss:
  1. A mess in the hallway.
  2. Cat "treats" (hard kitty food) all over the bedspread and the side next to the wall.
  3. Not being able to make my bed until she decided to get up.
  4. Getting her fresh water for her bowl every time she decided she wanted a drink (often).
  5. "Airlifting" her on the bathroom sink so she could drink out of the faucet and watch me in the mirror.
  6. Not being able to walk a decent pace down the hallway or hopping madly around trying not to step on her when she insisted on preceding me.
  7. Not having kitty eyes boring into my back while I waste time on the computer that I could have spent anticipating her every need.

But life goes on. I would like to thank everyone who sent or gave me condolences, I really appreciate them. And everyone who managed not to tell me "She was a cat!" I commend you on your forebearance. Not to mention, the life you saved was your own.

*That mirror looks awful! When was the last time I cleaned it? I dunno, but it doesn't look like that IRL! And it won't when I get home either. Yuck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts and memories of Sheba. She sounds like she was a wonderful furperson.

Take care over the holiday!!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

She sounds like she was a wonderful friend.

Have a peacful holiday.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my sincerest and most heartfelt condolences on your loss.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home