Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Breaking the 10th Commandment

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cat(tle), nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Their cat? Who knew? And here I thought that could keep one of the commandments.

I thought Hezekiah was a stray when I first saw her 3 years ago. Sheba hated her but she looked so much like her that I pretty much fed and semi sheltered her (not allowed in the house with the aging and temperatmental Queen) because how could I let anyone who looked so much like my baby starve?

NOTE: Put a collar on your outdoor cats, willya? If nothing else, no one will co opt her accidentally (on purpose is another story) not to mention it would be nice to know if she's had her shots.

Turns out she belongs to the next door neighbors but she likes me better. Which is handy, because I've been sobbing into her fur off and on the last couple of weeks. She both makes me feel better and worse. But life does go on. It's disheartening and at the same time it's comforting but it's pretty much inevitable, I guess.

So, pictures. Not much knitting. Not much anything that took concentration. I did get farther on my Never To Be Finished 2nd sock but didn't finish "Of Course It's Not A Leftover Christmas Present Just Because Your Birthday Is In January" Vest for my dad (OCINALCPJBYBIIJ Vest. Huh. That's not much better as an acronym.) Yet. But hey, his birthday is in January. I should have it done by then. Surely.

Hezekiah in the rocking chair. I know it's raining. You can see it's raining. But does she want to move? No.

Darn. The blurry shot completely obliterates the fact that I wrap like a demented two year old. Seriously, packing tape was involved with the big package there. The lonely stocking on the far right is mine, and has been my only stocking all my life, my maternal grandmother made it for me. She was pretty crafty.



And here is Sheba on the daybed snoozing (and hiding) last month.



Mary Jo, my oldest friend, you may (or may not, Santa hat w/Mickey Mouse ears is a hell of a disguise) recognize her as a Child Advocate Lawyer in a few episodes in the original CSI series. We've been friends since kindergarden, can you believe it?



Look closely. Do you see someone napping in the vegetable bed? Does that look at all inviting to you? Hezekiah loves it there. She naps on the rim too. Weird little thing.

And here's my baby earlier in the month. She'd had an accident so she'd had a partial bath.



4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Hezekiah is a beauty! I'm glad she's providing you some comfort. She probably senses that you need it. Sweet little thing.

7:06 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

How wonderful! Even if she is not "yours" she can still keep you company :) Oh, and seeing as you are also a fan Charles de Lint has a new book due out in Spring called Widdershins***CV

9:36 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Thanks chittavrtti! I'm a big fan of Mr. de Lint.

Hezekiah sure is more of a lapcat than Sheba ever was.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Love Charles de Lint. Wanna be a Crow Girl. :)

I also am glad that you have a comforting neighbor kitty around right now. And I am honored to share the virtual shennanighans of Chaos with you at any point!! That's in lieu of the big hug I can't give you over blog comments.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home