Friday, February 10, 2006

In Honor of the Olympics - KAL's of course..

Hope' is the thing with feathers
by Emily Dickinson
"Hope" is the thing with feathers –
That perches in the soul –
And sings the tune without the words –
And never stops – at all –
And sweetest – in the Gale – is heard –
And sore must be the storm –
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm –

I've heard it in the chillest land –
And on the strangest Sea –
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb – of Me.


Cast on and cast off! Good luck, contestants! Don't forget to post your progress for those of us who are not participating because we are chained to our computers (supposedly working. Mostly working.)

Hezekiah brought me a mouse last night! Wasn't that sweet? I was honored. A little freaked, mind you, but honored. She brought me a live one, at that. I saved its life. Mice are cute. Besides it was only in the garage. Please, Mr. Mouse, do not repay my kindness by crawling into my house and feasting in the cupboards or running across my floors. Eeek. Sincerely, Carrie K.

In knitting news, last night I ransacked some old copies of IK and Knitter's for the chainmail sweater I think would make a great knitalong for Woman on the Edge of Time, but thankfully did not find it, because? I cannot start a new project. I already have new projects I want to start and am putting off. Plus? No time. I haven't even finished my ugly colorway mameluke socks yet and I'm practically done.

I did find time to finish A Long Fatal Love Chase. I think LMA cheated and implied more mysteries than there were to Rosamund's parentage. But it was a fun romp.

In honor of Valentine's Day next week, I started A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh as it was referred to as a bittersweet - no, bitter - look at marriage. My kind of book.

If only I had told you all that Battle Britain was on at 10pm on PBS last night! I did not know. All about Harald and his roust of the Vikings and William the Conqueror's subsequent trouncing of Harald. Good times.

Tonight however, if you are silly enough to skip Stargate Atlantis for it, my favorite series, Secrets of the Dead is on at 9pm. This episode is about an archaeologist who finds the remains of a 2500 year old woman buried with war weapons in Russia, possibly the connection to the tales of the Amazon women. Later she links the remains to a 9 year old girl in Mongolia through DNA. How cool is that?

What am I saying? You will all be knitting feverishly tonight.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I've got the first set of 10 markers done. I was just going to paw through the bead stash, but the beads sucked me in.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wishes of luck...I'm gonna need it.

And good for you for rescuing your gift mouse. :) They are mighty cute, aren't they?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds like we watch the same tv. :)

My dogs used to bing me little moles. Unfortunately dead little moles. I still feel sorry for the poor things - they're awfully cute. But I guess you have to appreciate getting the ultimate display of love from your cat!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for the well wishes on the Olympics. So far, so good.

So, did H give you a disgusted look when you released the mouse?!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Yay, tabbytux! I was hoping that the beads would seduce you. I'm so Philip Tempest that way.

Sheba used to leave dead lizards in my shoes and everywhere else. Lovely.

Hezekiah was distracted by the sound of Whiska treats, which she LOVES but seldom gets. And then she was happy to hunt the mousie down again, but, not being a foolish mouse, had decamped.

4:09 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

Knitting feverishly? Not I. But I do intend to bring the olympic knitting to our school auction tomorrow ;)***CV

8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll be knitting feverishly too...hehe..and watching Secrets of the Dead too. Thanks for the T.V. tip!

As for the gifted mouse....ewwwwww!

1:27 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

I've been tempted to knit a hammer for Connie to use on the ward attendants....

2:00 PM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

I LOVE that Battle Britain series - it's started me reading about British History in a different light. I love the way they put the whole thing together with recreations and the digital fields.

My favorite so far is the Battle against the Spanish Armada -

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home