Tuesday, February 21, 2006


The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads to way, I
doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

That would be Hezekiah telling me "Talk to the Tail". Or contemplating the road not taken. Me? I should have taken the other road. Idjit. Really, hindsight doesn't even enter into it. Common sense alone should have forewarned me. But alas.

But lookie! Multiple finished socks (hey, two is a multiple) posing on various chairs in the house.











Look at how darn close I am to finishing those darned Norwegian socks! Actually I thought I'd already knit the heel flap and after staring at it somewhat dumbfoundedly when it wasn't there, I remembered that I'd gotten about 3 checks into it before completely losing track of the whole 3 stitch two color, 3 rows sequence thing and ripped it all back. Honestly. Three is a very hard number to keep track of. Evidently.

Fixing Wool-Ease yarn sucks. The yarn squeaks, for Pete's sake. The white is nicer than the green for some reason but I wouldn't throw it out (unlike the crappy "chenille" yarn I picked up for .50 a skein) but it's not wool. I love wool. I need to move out of the Bay Area. Even with snow (see the pic? Look close! That's not just fluffy clouds....) it's still around 40 degrees when it is C-O-L-D.





Now that I've finished (almost) two pairs of socks, one immeasurably old, I'm in a frenzy to cast on a new project. I'm eyeing a twinset from Knitters Spring '97 (because I'm hotter than blazes in this ofice and my office mates aren't) and the bobble berry cloches from Knitter's Summer '03. What's a wool hat with bobbles doing in a Summer issue?

No, no, the question is not why am I thinking of making something so.....ah, whimsical. It's the Summer/Winter conundrum.

The reading in church Sunday was from Isaiah "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" If that's not a sign for me to start a new project, I don't know what is. (Hmm. It might be a sign that I've taken up Bible cracking (evidently you pick up the Bible with a question and wherever you open it to, there's your answer, a practice that sounds specious at best and dangerous at worst. What if it's Leviticus? Have you read Leviticus? They would be hauled off en masse by PETA and hanged and good for PETA, I say. All that horrifying animal sacrifice.)

House was on LAST night. LAST Night. Monday. I am so mad. I didn't even get home until 9pm much less tape it. Stupid American Idol. Season Finale of Dancing With the Stars Thursday! (To be followed by a no doubt, 2 hr show on Sunday). Battlefield Britain is the fight between William of Orange and James II for the throne Thursday night at 10pm. Tonight on Nova (PBS) at 8pm are new scientific theories of evolution and the 10 o'clock show looked good too, but darned if I can remember what it is.

My voice is almost gone but I feel great. Now I get all sorts of sympathy. Oh well, now I can appreciate it.

I will be so glad when the Knitting Olympics are over! It's so quiet out there!

EDITED TO ADD: Just once. Once. One little time, I would like to post after noticing the bizarre use of non contractions, misspellings, typos and weirdly worded sentences. The weird content I'm afraid is just me.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

It has been rather quiet. I hadn't connected it with the Knitting Olympics. But of course!

Only 10 more markers to go and your sets will be all ready for you!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Have you done enough finishing that I can congratulate you on a finishing frenzy? ;)

Thanks for the poem!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Beautiful Socks! I love the ones with the checkered heels. I've read Leviticus--sure is a lot of blood.

5:19 PM  
Blogger chittavrtti said...

I notice alot of "darns" in this post. Is that because of the sock thing? Or maybe it's because the next time I hear a child say darn I am going to put a sock and a needle in their hands and let them do what they say :)***CV

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOOO Baltic Amber Socks! That's a great pattern, and ridiculously warm. Every time you mention "winter" I crack up - my boyfriend moved out there in July and has been having his first Bay Area winter after 25 years in the Northeast, and is still delighted by how warm and downright summery it's been, the whole time. :)

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(By the way, that was me. I didn't realize there was an "other" option. I am not trying to be anonymous!)

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that poem brings back nightmares of 7th grade english class, I had to memorize that poem, and while I was good at memorizing music, words were far more difficult.

Sweet Hezekiah!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three can be a horribly difficult number to remember. Stupid counting.

Your socks all look lovely, though. :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

It is too winter here! Cold! It was 44 degrees! Yeah, and even the teenage girls are wandering the streets in tank tops and flip flops. Although that might be more a comment on fashion than weather.

The only poem I remember that I memorized is El Dorado, more's the pity.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Very nice socks! And your cat is just beautiful. I loves me a fluffy cat. I'm sorry I haven't commented before after you've left me comments. I didn't realize you had a blog which has be seriously questioning my own technical skills. ;o)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey Carrie - It's hard to leave a comment on how to do strikethrough and underline in html because if I use the code, blogger won't let me comment.

If you google for html strikethrough and html underline, you should get the syntax.

The book meme was fun!!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RF is my favorite poet! My favourite poem by Robert Frost is "The Road Not Taken"

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Source:
famouspoetsandpoems.com

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home