Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Just another Terrible Tuesday

One of my best friend's mother died yesterday. I don't even know what to say about her, she's been part of my life for the last 30 years. She had this way of being accepting of human behavior, nothing really phased her, but she wasn't anything close to being saccharine, or even sweet. It's just sad and awful and I can't even begin to put it into words, much less here. But the world is a poorer place without her.



Okay. In other words, literally, why am I looking up so many words reading Middlemarch? I thought I had a decent vocabulary. Apparently not. My latest are:

Obloqouy - 1. abusively detractive language or utterance: calumny. 2. Loss of or damage to ones' reputation. [ME obloqui < Med Lat obloquium < Lat obloqui, to speak against: ob, against + loqui, to speak.

And then I had to look up calumny again even though I already had and had been surprised that I did not know the word. Still.

Calumny - 1. A false statement maliciously made to injure someone. 2. The utterance of calumny; slander.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home