Saturday, June 25, 2005

My Kingdom for a Crown

Hmm. That really doesn't look much like a crown, does it? But it is. Or it was, when I was a little girl. It was on a lamp my parents got through Green Stamps, like a hundred years ago. I accidentally broke the lamp last weekend and can you believe my mother wanted to throw my crown away? Unbelievable. Peasants.

Today's church service was the "old contemporary", I guess. I just want to know - whose contemporary? Some of that stuff sounds like they wI liked last week when we used the 1940 hymnal. I suppose if I was Catholic I'd still be whining we don't do the service in Latin.

I snuck my knitting in. I don't think anyone noticed, but then, I doubt they'd say anything to me. To my face. Maybe whispering behind my back. If I didn't do it myself on occasion, it would make me crazy, but then again, it's sort of the "telephone" of the congregation. I think gossip gets a bad rap because a) men always think that woman do it (as if men don't) and b) they think it's all catty. Sometimes it's just informational. I mean, who doesn't say," oh what's so and so up to? Still married to......"



Main Entry: pro·ve·nience
Pronunciation: pr&-'vE-ny&n(t)s, -nE-&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of provenance, origin, source.

Main Entry: con·ve·nience
Pronunciation: k&n-'vEn-y&n(t)s
Function: noun
1 fitness or suitability for performing an action or fulfilling a requirement
2 something (as an appliance, device, or service) conducive to comfort or ease
3 a suitable or convenient time
4 freedom from discomfort : EASE

I had to look up provenience - but why is convenient completely unrelated? I expect pro and con to be prefixes, darn it! Yeah, yeah, provenience is a corruption of the French provenance but still. It just struck me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home